Ba Tyres

Guest SA Tickford

Guest SA Tickford
  • Guests

OK people just a quick query, im curious as to what type of tyre came on your BA from the factory. Mine came with Dunlop SP 3000's but I have seen a couple of BA's with Dunlop SP 9000's, so what did you get and does anyone know why there is a difference and whice are better.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 27d

I believe the 17" rims have the 3000's and the 18's have the 9000's.

Our car has 18's and we have SP9000's on our car.

l am not sure of the differences between the two tyres but the 3000's are cheaper than the 9000's. It could be speed rating perhaps, the 9000's are Z rated.

Guest librandragon
  • Guests

I got the 3000's with my car but I'm not impressed with them. There appears to be too much road noise from them or am I just too picky????

Maybe I should get under body sound proofing.

Guest Trevor
  • Guests

Guys,

I spoke to the expert at my local Dunlop dealer last night and can confirm the difference in these tyres.

The 9000 is a directional tyre so can only be placed on the side of the car it has been fitted on the rim for. It is a better tyre than the 3000 but due to being directional can't be rotated.

The 3000, although it has markings "this side to outside of rim", is a bi-directional tyre. It can be rotated to anywhere on the car so if you start to experience uneven tyre wear at least you can rotate the 3000's to extemd the life of the tyres a bit.

I am unsure why ford have used both tyres, maybe there was a supply problem with one.

Guest Mercury[SiLvEr]
  • Guests

yes, I think the 18" come with D3000's :nugget: and the 19" come with D9000. ;) but there is not much difference between the two of them...

Guest Race Rubber
  • Guests
Guys,

I spoke to the expert at my local Dunlop dealer last night and can confirm the difference in these tyres.

The 9000 is a directional tyre so can only be placed on the side of the car it has been fitted on the rim for. It is a better tyre than the 3000 but due to being directional can't be rotated.

The 3000, although it has markings "this side to outside of rim", is a bi-directional tyre. It can be rotated to anywhere on the car so if you start to experience uneven tyre wear at least you can rotate the 3000's to extemd the life of the tyres a bit.

I am unsure why ford have used both tyres, maybe there was a supply problem with one.

OK Here is the story.

All standard XR6 and XR6T are Fitted with 235/45R17 SP3000A ( Aust Made). Although I have noticed some of them are now coming out with the SP9000 as well.

If you optioned the 18's you then get 245/40R18 SP9000 ( Japanese Made) this tyre is also available out of Germany but dearer.

The SP3000A IS an assymetrical pattern which can be rotated to any point on the car without the need to remove the tyre from the wheel.

The SP9000 is directional which means you can only rotate your tyres front to rear. Therefore if you want to put your RF on the LR it means you will need to strip the tyres off and turn them around. This is what I would prefer to do even with the SP3000A. In my experience once a tyre has been run in a specific rotational direction for some time it is preferable to keep it rotating that way as opossed to reversing it's direction.

Both of these tyres are excellent products and both are manufactured incorporating the most desireable features in tyre design. I.e a) JLB Jointless Band / Belt overlay B) Silica rich Compounds and Rolling road computer simulation techniques.

The SP3000A was designed by some good friends of mine and has been extensively tested in real world conditions for many thousands of kilometers before being approved for fitment by Ford to The XR Range. Additionally it is the very first 17" tyre to be produced here in OZ.

Hope that clears things up.

• Member For: 21y 4m 27d

and mine. 17" + SP9000. seems like a nice tyre so far. Not had much chance to trial in the wet as yet , due to dry days here in SA. They do like to give a little chirp crossing white lines but. Any one notice this??

cheers to the forum.

Oh, I'm off to buy a boot lid liner as well. Thanks to an earlier post for the part Numbers..

:)