Fg F6 Trans Choice

F6R

• Member For: 15y 3m 8d

Guys

I'm finalising a deal on buying a new FG at the moment. The one thing I am stuck on is the damn transmission.

I've always been a believer that performance cars are manual, and every car I've ever had up until I bought my RSpec has been such.

The thing is the ZF is just so nice to drive. Rarely do you ever wish you had a manual, so I'm hoping that someone out there might have some pearl of wisdom that may help me decide what way to go.

FPV have even made it hard as there's no price difference and practically no performance difference.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 30d

Yes, this topic has been done to death.

If you are going to mod the car to over 450rwkw, or your driving is 95% country, or you are going to circuit race, then go the manual.

Otherwise the ZF auto is a no brainer. I have the BF with the ZF, and 3 other manual turbo cars.

Drive the ZF in manual mode and it is a very good driving experience, and the ZF is easily my favourite.

The more you mod the car the better the ZF is compared with the manual. You have far less time between gear changes, and the car is far quicker, as we have clearly demonstrated at the track.

The ZF with the very tall 6th ratio gives very good economy, the low 1st gear is such that the car gets away off the mark with less stress.

If you have found "ZF is just so nice to drive" I think the decision is made, and I think you'd regret it if you changed your mind.

Brian

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 11m 4d

Yep get the ZF, 1st is great for jumping off the mark in traffic, 3rd is nice and tall, great for stretching the legs in the hills.

But, I havnt driven a manual FG, only BA's - BFs and with the FG's better low rpm response, and better chutch I'd expect them to drive alot better.

• Member For: 17y 2m 27d

Depends if its and everyday driver. If so the 6A is probably the easy choice.

As a weekend driver and circuit car than it would be 6M for me....something more connected to the whole experience of driving with a manual.

I have a 6A but run 25000 a year.

• Member For: 15y 3m 8d

It'd be a daily and run to 30,000k's a year, mainly long freeway runs (opposite direction to traffic thank christ!)

Yeah, I love the ZF in my F6 now and I just wanted to throw some feelers out to see what people think.

• Team Xtreme
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 15d

The auto is just such a nice thing, Its very hard to go past. I get to drive many many cars with all ranges of mods on them, Unless your aiming to make over 800 hp the auto will always be your best bet.

• Member For: 17y 7m 20d

The only place the manual is better is on the track.

Let's be honest, these cars are built for cruising, and the ZF is so well suited to that. If it were a light nimble point to point car, then manual would be the go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 7m 13d

I have a FG F6 in manual and I love it. I understand that in day to day driving that the auto may be a bit quicker but I love the feel of being more connected to the car through a manual trans. In my mind a car like the F^ deserves the manual trans as the auto is simply just not as much fun.

• You are a dead set goose
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 25d

Manual for fun. Auto for fast.

There's no way I could drift the corners I do in an auto :3gears: