Ba To Be Bf'ed

Ninka

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 25d

After considering this for a while, while looking for a suitable transmission, I have decided to jump in an transform my BA 4 speed driveline, to a near BF 6 speed ZF equipped unit.

I am going through the parts list now, so in a few weeks, I should have a better idea of whether this was a stupid idea or?? :spit:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Work in progress summary as at 20 January, 2007

OK, here's a list of what I have chosen to be changed as part of the upgrade:

ZF 6 speed trans incl. cooler

Custom trans cooler bracket

BF F6 Tailshaft, with modified centre bearing mount

Drive Flange on Diff changed to BF F6 (still 3.45 diff)

Addition of thermostat for trans cooler and associated plumbing

Complete engine and trans harness

Addition of 1 Knock Sensor

Addition of 1 HEGO sensor

Complete engine bay harness

Complete harness for lhs of vehicle

Complete harness for rhs of vehicle

Complete dash harness

ABS modulator unit

6 new BF brake pipes (front l+r ABS to master + 2 x rear)

BF Master Brake cylinder

Change transducer for Power Steering

BEM Module

HIM Module

Instrument cluster (BF FPV hi series)

Steering column with BF ignition lock

Door barrel

Glovebox lock and handle

BF Alternator + new rear bracket for same

New BF Alternator harness

So essentially to do this modification, you will need a damaged vehicle to get all the required bits and pieces, as it otherwise gets very expensive.

Most of the looms are in the $350 - $550 range ea, except for the dash loom, which I think was about $800 new.

If anyone wants to do this to a BA, then the best way forward is to make sure you have ALL modules and the trans from the same car, and ideally this car is the same body shape as the one you are transplanting it into.

If you move all modules and the trans, it will all work first time.

Wiring can be transplanted or new, it shoould make no difference, provided you can get the right wiring looms from Ford, as their catalogue is far from perfect in specifying what looms fit in which car, and with which accessories.

Edited by bcl

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 25d

:msm: :msm: :msm::spit:

Mate I have to hand it to you, your car must be one of the most unique and most "adjusted" early BA in the country. For a 2002 BA it has gone through engine, gearbox, intake, body, and interior upgrades. I reckon it would be the ULTIMATE configured beast with 6sp in it.

Plus it gives us all another project to watch over with keen anticipation of the result!

• Donating Members

I could buy a new one, but we've kind of become attached, the yellow money muncher and I :msm:

And I am having waaayyy too much fun doing all of this to stop now :spit:

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 25d

If you got a new one it wouldn't be anywhere near as unique. It's fundamentally the same as a new one anyway. When the new one comes out in 08 it will be a different story as it's going to be completely different... but getting a BF now wouldnt make any difference, except cost you more hehe.

• Donating Members
If you got a new one it wouldn't be anywhere near as unique. It's fundamentally the same as a new one anyway. When the new one comes out in 08 it will be a different story as it's going to be completely different... but getting a BF now wouldnt make any difference, except cost you more hehe.

You da man!!

My reasoning exactly.

And when I was able to get my hands on an 06 BF Tornado transmission, the temptation was just too great :spit:

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 26d

If anybody was going to do it Allan it was going to be you...you do realise that about the only thing you have left that you could do to your car is to fit a terrortory AWD drivetrain..... :msm::msm: when its nuts and bolts time let me know and i'l come round and give you a hand... :spit:

Edited by hiddeous

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 7m 13d

Sounds like you have a fair bit of work ahead of you.. Good luck with it mate.. Keep us posted

• Donating Members
you do realise that about the only thing you have left that you could do you to your car is to fit a terrortory AWD drivetrain..... :Doh:  :spit:

You recon that could be done :msm: Only kidding, I would NEVER consider doing that :msm:

I know I have to be careful with you here, as you go post mining to find something I may have said at one time, if I change my mind :spit::msm: