Exhaust Upgrade For Ba Na Xr6 Sedans

harasn

• Used to work at the Ford Proving Ground!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 29d

Hey guys, Around the forums I have noticed some rumours about power gains to be had on a BA NA XR6 if fitted with a BA XR6T exhaust, so I decided to try it. I removed the NA exhaust from the back flange of the catalitic converter. I then made a "Y" piece to mate the single pipe flange plate to match the twin exhaust pipes. I then cut the end off the turbo intermediate muffler and fitted the "Y" pipe to the cut off pipes. Then I just fitted the turbo exhuast in place of the single exhaust. All the rubber hangers and the like line up perfect.

I started the car and was impressed by the way it idles. A bit louder than normal, deeper than normal, similar to a turbo deepness. Then I reved it. Sounds sh*t! Like a B&S ute sort of sound. I hate it. Too loud and then it crackles back through the exhaust on decel. Took the car for a run and it sounds good for a bit of fun, but I certainly couldn't live with it! At 100km/h its loudish in the car. no good. Damb I was hoping it would sound good. Here are some pictures of the exhaust at this stage but I am now going to make a "y" pipe to fit to the back of the NA intermediate muffler and just try the turbo rear muffler and tail pipe. I will get my XR sounding good yet!

It certainly did seem to improve the performance of the car so that's one good thing. Seemed to realy start hauling at 4000rpm. Will keep you posted.

exh1

• Lifetime Members

turbo intermediate muffler to "y" pipe

post-3-1049281900.jpg

• Lifetime Members

another view of the "Y" pipe.

Thanks to the guy who welded it all up and made it perfect so that it bolted straight up! exhaust tip was level too!

post-3-1049282045.jpg

• Brendan Dennis
  • Member For: 21y 6m 10d

Welcome to the Ford XR6Turbo Forum R&D department!!! Love your work Harasn. :thumbsup:

Have you found a fix for the disks warping as yet..

Got to love being able to do this sort of stuff at work where you have all the bits needed... B)

Guest herrod motorsport
  • Guests

Any body wanting this exhaust system from the xrt call us on 03 9464 5100 we have plenty of exhausts that we remove from the turbo and the xr8

• Member For: 21y 6m 13d

I guess by fiddling with the exhaust somewhat u could eliminate that droning that u mentioned at 100km's? Maybe a few nips and tucks and work on the in-line features such as muffler, resonator etc may make it sound better and run smoother?

• Lifetime Members
Welcome to the Ford XR6Turbo Forum R&D department!!! Love your work Harasn. :blink:

Have you found a fix for the disks warping as yet..

Got to love being able to do this sort of stuff at work where you have all the bits needed... B)

it is good working where I do and knowing the peole I do! The exhaust guys were most helpfull, as they also have NA XR6's and all versions will be tested to see if they pass interior noise limits and also possible factory exhaust upgrades for the future!

we have been working flat out on the brake shudder issue, but I'm not willing to say much else. I like my job! many things are being tested as we speak!

will keep you posted on future exhaust mods. A good mod for the BA standard 5.4 v8 is to fit the turbo exhaust. gives it a real nice note. better than the xr8's in my opinion!

• Lifetime Members
Any body wanting this exhaust system from the xrt call us on 03 9464 5100 we have plenty of exhausts that we remove from the turbo and the xr8

good to know where to get the exhaust for my own car when I have the exhaust setup right at work! Have you guys at Herrods figured how to get into the ECU to release more power? As Chris has found the exhaust made no difference if no other mod to the ECU was done!