UHF CB Radios

Trumpy

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d
Can I just ask why you guys need to go to the battery to source power? that's isnt required, just get the power off the cigarett lighter, running it from the battery is very messy and a waste of time.

Cigarette power is ignition switched. The battery is constant power. But I agree, the wiring to the battery can get messy, I got my power from the Power Adjustable Pedal switch. Its a constant power. Or equally as effective, Power Seat wiring harness also has constant power that will do the job.

Rob

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• zeke
  • Member For: 20y 9m 7d
Cigarette power is ignition switched. The battery is constant power. But I agree, the wiring to the battery can get messy, I got my power from the Power Adjustable Pedal switch. Its a constant power. Or equally as effective, Power Seat wiring harness also has constant power that will do the job.

Rob

Thanks for that really useful info. I've got a small car fridge and have been intending to run the lead to the battery to get power that's independent of the ignition. But I didn't want to go thru the firewall and wasn't sure how I could get the lead to the battery from the dedicated power outlet socket in the boot.

:smilielol:

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members

I got mine wired straight to the battery cause I wasn't getting full 5watt transmission power when wired anywhere else.

A guy that is an expert in UHF's and auto electronics told me to wire it in different places and test the transmission strength with this metre he lent me. The only place I got a full 5watt transmision power was when I wired it straight to the battery.

I tried reverse sensing, towbar thingo, cigarette lighter, and battery.

He says the reason I wasn't getting a full 5watts is cause there are too many fuses in the way which degrade your power.

I don't know how true that exactly is, but I know I got most power straight from battery with 2 fuses along the way.

I was only getting like 2watt transmission when wired to the ciggie lighter.

• Weird Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 25d
Can I just ask why you guys need to go to the battery to source power? that's isnt required, just get the power off the cigarett lighter, running it from the battery is very messy and a waste of time.

All 'proper' or commercial mobile radio installations are connected directly to the battery with both positive and negative feeds, which should also BOTH be fused.

This is to protect against RF current loops and noise in the wiring loom which may under certain circumstances damage either the car or the radio.

Secondly the wiring in the car is most times quite small and runs a very tortious route. This results in voltage drop to the radio and when you only have 12V to play with every mV is important, this is most likely why Cro did not get his best TX power until he did this.

I am no RF guru but used to work in the industry, and this is what the senior engineer said to do so we did.

;)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 2d

Hmmm.... Ok

Personally Ive never seen anything ive driven with the UHF wired to the battery, including Kenworth Trucks which are fitted with UHF's from the factory (in most cases).

I personally dont like wires running all over the place, even if you dont get the full 5 watts, the cigarett lighter option is alot easier.

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members

Easy it is. All you need to do is pull the box out, strip the wires and connect.

2watts output though? Might as well have a hand held...

• 1 month later...
  • I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 8d

What do people think of this one? Despite the price shown below, I've seen it in Dick Smith Electronics for $358.

UNIDEN UH-090

Super Compact Mobile UHF / AM CB Radio

This unit is the single most advanced unit in Australia. Now you don't have to choose between AM and UHF. You can have best of both worlds in one super compact unit. That's right - the first AM/UHF transceiver in Australia. Plus it has an extra large backlit display screen and has hands free operation with the optional VOX headset. It offers 40 channels, 5 watts of transmission power and has 38 built-in CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) codes that are user selectable.

Features List:

• Super Compact Size

• Dual Band Watch: 40 Channel UHF CB and 40 Channel AM CB

• Large Backlit Display Screen

• Built-in Vox circuitry and variable Vox sensitivity (UHF only)

• 38 Built-in CTCSS Codes

• AM Group Scan with Priority Channel Watch

• AM Open Scan

• One touch AM & UHF Mode Channel

• 5 Watt

• Signal Strength Meter

• RF Power Meter

• Speaker Audio Volume Meter

• UHF CB Repeater Access Facility (from CH01 to CH08)

• UHF Group Scan with Priority Channel Watch

• UHF Open Scan

• Busy Channel Lock Out Function

• 2 Types Ring Tone

• Instant Channel Programmable separately UHF / AM modes

• One Touch Instant Channel Recalling

• Comes complete with Detailed Instruction Book, Mobile Mounting Bracket, Microphone & Power Lead

• Roger beep function on/off (VOX mode only)

• Optional DIN size mounting kit and facial plate available.

Suggested retail: $495

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members

Ani, I still think the Uniden UH-013 is better. It has wideband and a detachable face. AM is pretty uselsss as hardly anybody uses it so you would be just paying for something that won't get used.

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 8d
Ani, I still think the Uniden UH-013 is better. It has wideband and a detachable face. AM is pretty uselsss as hardly anybody uses it so you would be just paying for something that won't get used.

True. Just thought I would investigate, as its $100 cheaper than the UH-013 at the moment. If its essentially the same, but just doesn't have a detachable face, I could live with a useless AM band. Being a complete novice, what is this wideband you speak of?