AU brake upgrade help!

FordFan86

• Member For: 18y 9m 16d

Evening all!

I have scoured all ford related forums and the search function extensively and can't find the answer, hopefully someone here can help as a lot of good information came from this forum.

I have the fronts sorted, upgrading AU III to BF XR8/XR6T 322mm calipers and rotors.
The problem I have is the rears and 328mm calipers.

From all reading I have done you need to trim the backing plate and shim it 3mm with washers or a plate to make it sit right. 
OR change the backing plate for the correct one... the 2 people I have seen do this haven't replied to PMs and have been a offline for weeks.

Ford have 3 part numbers listed and were no help.

Does anyone know for certain the correct part number or can someone with a standard series I BF XR8 or XR6T give me their vin or have it checked by Ford to get the correct part # for me?
I don't want to play Russian Roulette with trying to pick the right part number then dummy fitting it and finding I have the wrong plate.

They are going onto a UTE so must be from a ute or wagon due to live axle and IRS rear differences.

I have everything here good to go, rotors and braided lines front and rear from Race Brakes Sydney, refurbished 322mm and 328mm front and rears off eBay, I have spent $$$ already and would rather do the job properly and spend another $150-$200 through Ford instead of trimming and shimming my current hardware.

Cheers,

James.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

If you are sure that one of the three will bolt up then go to a wreckers, explain your situation and I'm sure they'd let you try them out, providing you bought a set when you're done.

Just buy 3 sets and return 2 sets. Should only cost $30 or so.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

1 post in 13 years of membership is impressive. Welcome to the forum and it's wealth of information.

Puffwagon's advice is quite good as a trial fit is the best way to be sure.

Good luck.

• Member For: 18y 9m 16d

I thought so too!

Have done a bit of lurking here and there in the years hahahah

Found the information I needed from another member, got the 2 part numbers ordered and arrived yesterday, calipers fit inside them perfect.

(BAFC2A481A "Shield RH" and BAFC2T001A "Shield LH" for anyone interested, $128.54 total)

Total cost of upgrade sitting on $2 grand.

Completely refurbished, heat proofed and clear coated calipers, bolts brackets etc front and rear, DBA T3 rotors front and rear, pads, braided lines all good to go.... now just need the time to do it haha.

Also did a bit more searching and reading and 328mm rears bolt straight up to AU II onwards without the need for a 3 mm spacer or change of backing plates. :)