Turbo head on e-gas motor?

Inconsistent

• Member For: 5y 8m 15d

Ok so I’ve got a spare BF e-gas engine with bugger all km’s on it, and a spare BF turbo head. 

You can obviously see where I’m going with this here. Who’s done this build before? Thinking of just throwing the head on, running it exclusively on a safe E85 tune and see how the high compression goes. Dump the engine into a Ute and have a bit of fun. Stock turbo/injectors too. 

Are there any suppliers that offer thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression slightly?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

with stock injectors you won't want to be running E85.

It'll run. Just get a turbo motor head gasket and some bigger injectors and fuel pump etc for the E85 flow you'll want to run to keep the compression issues away.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

I did something like this and had to take a lot of timing out of the low load areas. It still drove pretty good. I also had to change it a bit on boost but not as much as you'd think. Iirc it comp tested at 230 or 240. Then I turned it up to 19psi, broke a ring land and almost ripped a piston in half horizontally.

If you can tune it to remove timing from where it needs it then go for it. If you don't it'll be knocking constantly and pulling heaps of timing even with less than normal, gentle driving. You could probably run a 50/50 mix of 98 and e85 but you'd need to do your research and work out whats going to work for you.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

Higher comp ONLY if you are running E85 or race fuel OR you need to pull lots of timing. Compression needs to be worked out NOT guessed.

PLUS you want forged pistons really>>>

Edited by arronm