BF XR6 - handling issues whilst accelerating in wet

Brad3199

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

probably a reasonable indication to control the throttle a bit more carefully in narrow roads :) When you've got more space or visibility, then test to control how much negative influence there is, then control it to see fit, based on the conditions as you go forward.

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 8m 19d
11 hours ago, camo86T said:

@Brad3199 when you say "in a straight line" I presume you're not dumping the clutch....and that you've driven manual for a while

The last time I had an experience like you're describing was probably about 12 years ago, used to happen regularly in the work ute, but that was a trayback 2.7L hilux with sh*tty 185s all round.

No I am not dumping the clutch, and I've been driving manual for nearly 20 years.

What I am referring to does not involve the clutch. Foot down a touch too much whilst accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear, it snaps sideways uncontrollably. What I would expect to happen, even with sh*tty tyres, is for the car to continue in a straight line whilst wheelspinning. It doesn't.

This is with traction control on OR off.

Edited by Brad3199

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 5y 8m 19d

Now that you mention it, the rear does seem to bounce up and down a bit more than it should on bumpy roads. Also, I decided to check the wheel nuts just in case and one was only finger tight. Since tightening that up I have noticed an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 20d

Well I'll be I <3 Bananased, I am not the only one with an issue with the way the car handles.

Well during the last round of mods, the car does have close to 500 ponies at the wheels.

What I did notice initially was, one morning on the way to the gym, I was at a set of lights.

I took off and changed into second. I wanted to get around this guy and so I floored it, well I lost control of the car and just, just, just managed to grab it at about 75 degrees out.

I was almost 90 degrees to the direction I was going towards. I reckon all the other cars around me would have shat themselves.

I did have TC on and it did not save me. I tend to leave TC on for when I go around corners as I notice it tends to cut power in the engine which most probably has saved me.

another thing that comes to mind about the car stepping out like that is the suspension. I have the front shockworks set to 4 clicks. The rears are set to 3 clicks.

I might tighten the rear suspension up a bit and see what happens.

No I do not clutch kick Elanor. She does not appreciate that sort of behavior. :P

Also I have the bridgstone RE003 tires on there. I think they are a decent tire in the wet and the dry, even though the car kicks out like that.

I think the moral of the story is to have your tuner turn it off in the tune. that way it is always off.

• Member For: 6y 11m 18d

Why would you floor it in second with 500rwhp just off the line if you wanted traction?  How much camber and toe is on the rear? You want to soften the rear not make it harder. TC only does so much.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 20d

at the time the car did not have 500 ponies. also in second gear at 20km/h it is only doing 1200 rpm, which is no where near on boost power.

The rears are stock standard. they get aligned by the suspension place in Malaga as per standard stock specs.

The fronts have a camber kit, but I am pretty sure that they are set to stock as well.

so if I make the rears hard, it will skid more?

• Member For: 6y 11m 18d

The traction control in these are pretty good in the holdens it cuts power almost completely so you stay sideways and have no control till it straightens up (which sounds good in theory). Softer rear will get more power to the ground and maybe a little less sideways action. There's a few ways to control it, you can drive through it with no TC it will straighten back up as long as you have it pointed in the right direction. Or you can back off quickly then back on again quickly using TC or not, this way sounds good too with the turbo. There are other ways. Heavy cars these so you don't want to get it wrong to often.

Wheel alignment, make sure its 4 wheel alignment and the thrust alignment is checked which is the front to rear alignment. I have heard this is a bit of an issue with these cars, mine was way out when I first had it done. Check there is not to much toe in on the rears, that can cause the car to step out easier, just go neutral toe till you get used to it.