Ba 4 speed limits.

Goeer

• Banned
  • Member For: 8y 2m 7d

Could anyone help with my box concerns. I currently have 333 kw at the wheels of my s/c 4 speed GT, and would like to boost that by 100 kw. I am wondering can the 4 speed be reliable at these figures. I have read that I could put a larger oil pump on the box, but have decided I don't need a cooler since I don't tow and only do 3000 kms per year in the GT. I figure I am killing two birds with one stone by replacing the radiator every ten years (milkshake, cleaner cooler engine block ) than buying a bypass cooler. I also don't thrash the car, but do go WOT once a fortnight, for about 7 seconds.  The car only drives at highway speeds about 4 times a year. I also have learnt that the 4 speed did get strengthened a little bit for the GT to handle the extra 50nm it had over the turbo at the time. By how much and whether it really matters who knows ? I am also wondering if self shifting puts extra strain on the auto. I read somewhere on this forum that hard shifting is good for the box, but I am having a hard time believing that. Ps. Mine was tuned for harder shifts by Bluepower when the s/c was installed.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

hard shifting wears out the friction surfaces slower, but has the risk of breaking hardened parts if the alignment is no good when a hard shift is engaged.

333rwkw is already at the limit of the 4sp without significant strengthening and/or maintenance. 100kW added will surely end in disaster with regard to the gearbox.

• Like 1

• Banned

That's disappointing to hear. I could of bought a g6et with only 70k on the clock for 6 grand less than my s/c Ba with 100k on the clock. ( does have 7000k worth of factory extras though ) Oh well, I always wanted a supercharged v8 and now I guess I have one.  333kw is enough to get me into plenty of trouble anyway.

I like how in drive I cant even feel the shifts, but when self shifting its like driving a totally different car.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

It’s because we can tune the automatic gearboxes for two different modes ( performance over to the left ) and normal ( straight down into “D” ) 

its common to leave normal mode smooth and seamless and then have performance mode in a more agressive engagement style 

best of both worlds some would say ;) 

• Like 1

• Banned

I agree with you guys, I do like it, shame its a 4 speed. Anyway, I still think its a better box than anything Expensive Daewoo had up until the end of BA series 2.  I don't know what there VE and newer boxes are like but I have owned 2 older Expensive Daewoo v8's  and I thought those boxes sucked. They didn't know what to do half the time.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1d

I used to drive VXs and VZs heap for work when I had my EL. The gearboxes were chalk and cheese. The Daewoos were rubbish.

I've always liked the BTR - super smooth and good ratio spacing.

After a few weeks with the ZF though, I'm in love.

• Like 1

• Banned

It took me a while to work out that fords were better. Through misfortune with woman and gambling, and stupidity with drugs and alcohol I had become nearly penniless and needed a car. I bought an AU 6cyl for 800. I quickly learnt that the au was a great car, smooth in every department. I had never owned a v6, I could tell they were crap just from been a passenger. I have owned vt 5.7 and vz 5.7 and they are great engines, but the rest of the car leaves a lot to be desired. (fe2 way to firm, box, leaky main seal on both) I think the gen 3 is 1 second faster to 100 than the boss 290, so when my s/c ba gt came up for sale, I thought I could have the best of both worlds,and I was right. I think the gt suspension is a great compromise between soft and firm. So there lies my story from red to blue.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

Tuned box in my VF is sweet. So is the tuned ZF in the territory. Not as good as the manuals though. So little cost to handle big power.