BA sluggish down low

Z2TT

• Member For: 11y 10m 1d

Hi Guys.

I just got a BA wagon and 1st gear really doesn't seem to be anything great.  Before I had a VT Late model camira which was very peppy in 1st gear.  it's a petrol car
I know the falcon has a much shorter 1st gear but heaps more torque.  A friends BA Auto ute would fly off the starting line

I've seen other threads on different forums with some people asking the same thing.
I've seen AU Auto's jump off the line quickly.

Some guys mentioned the cable throttle holds back the car in 1st gear to make it more streetable hence giving the lag like feeling.

Is there any versions of the 4 Speed box that have a better 1st gear ratio I could swap in from any other BA or possibly AU?
Not looking into an option to just go a shorter diff as I only want to make 1st gear shorter.

The only other option is a ZF swap which is very expensive as wagons never had the 6 speed

Cheers

Edited by Z2TT

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Yeah, you'll be looking for a gearbox change, as making a gear smaller but still engage properly won't be a cheap exercise on your current gearbox, but of course with money and time, anything is possible :idunno:

It's pretty normal to feel slow off the line in a BA, especially if you compare directly to the equivalent model of bogan special. 

• Member For: 11y 10m 1d

Fair enough.  I'm not sure if there's a shorter 1st gear ratio I can put inside from another BTR box that can fit in the BTR box of the BA otherwise the only real solution is a ZF conversion.

Cannot I retrofit a AU mechanicals and re-use BA electronics?

Edited by Z2TT
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...