Replacing front crank seal

wayno1

• Member For: 6y 4m 5d

Hi guys I have a oil leak from the front of engine, its hard to tell exactly but I was going to start by replacing front crank seal.

Question is what type of crank puller is required for job? I didn't want to get half way through the job and find out I have the wrong puller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

There is a specific puller to use. It cost a tad under $200. Search eBay for xr6 puller and it'll come up.

If you're deadly you can use a generic puller.

Like Aaron said, google it.

But...

The first thing to do though when you're tracking down a leak is to degrease the area, go for a spirited drive and then see where it's actually leaking from.

When you are sure, fix it. Don't guess incorrectly and spend money and time on a tool you may not need.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

When the engine is out, of course it's reasonably easy in comparison. When it's in the car, it's far more difficult. :)

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 11m 23d

Yep fair call keeith. I did think that after posting. Having said that I'm guessing you'd want to drop the radiator for more access if doing g it in the car so I think that should give enough space for that type of puller.

That's what I was thinking too puff. Spend a quarter of the price on a more versatile puller. 

Also instead of using nuts/washers to pack between the crank and jacking bolt you could try a socket to space it out. I was lucky I found an old motorbike flywheel puller that happened to be the same thread as the jacking bolt. So I just screwed it on the and with a nut to lock it on. Made it easier to attach the puller to the balancer. 

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Plenty of tips and tricks to get a job done.

Glad you got yours done, I'm definitely glad I got mine done and I hope op got his done. 

I'll admit I wish a had a proper/different one cos it wasn't fun trying to get everything to line up and grab. I'm also glad I saved money so pick a side...

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

No radiator out.  I have removed a few factory ones.  Special puller makes it so easy.  

Unless I had a dead stock car , I would throw the cast balancer in the bin and then fit a forged one.  

Then next time you pull it off , no special tool.