DIY ZF transmission cooler and kit

El Andrew

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Hey guys.  Anyone able to point me in the right direction for sizing, etc. for a few parts?  I'm looking to do a trans cooler for my ZF.  I had already bought a PWR cooler to go in the BA. Fitting that up was going to be easy enough, as the transmission lines run all the way to the radiator.  I'd bought the generic kit as I was planning to install behind the bumper on the driver's side and most of the kits suited non-turbo installations in front of the radiator.  So I'm in the position now of having to build my own kit for the ZF.

The cooler has 3/8" barbed connections.  So far I've grabbed some 3/8" transmission fluid hose, some bar to make brackets, a 3/8" Derale thermo switch to drive the fan, a Davies Craig fan plus wiring and relay, and a regular switch.  Plan is to wire the thermo switch and regular switch in parallel, so I can use the regular switch as a manual override to test the fan, etc.  Also thinking I'll run an LED to the dash to show when the thermo switch has kicked in.

Ideally I'd have the parts all ready to go when I pull the front bumper off but I can't find too much about hose sizes etc.  Does anyone who has done this before know:

1. For the coolant hoses in/out of the existing heat exchanger, will the one that comes from near the oil filter reach to the t-piece in the heater hose that the second hose comes from?  iei to eliminate one hose from the circuit.  Or do I just need to join the two ends together that were on the heat exchanger?  If so, does anyone know what size male to male fitting is needed?

2. Do people tend to use the existing fluid hoses from the transmission and extend them to the cooler?  Or is it better to fit all new hose with a fitting from the transmission? If the second option, what are the fittings into the transmission?  I've got to fit the thermo switch somewhere anyway, so the break in the hose is no big deal.

3.  If I am just extending the existing transmission lines, are the factory lines 3/8"

Thanks heaps - will be a much faster job if I have all of the parts ready to go.  I'll add to this thread a parts list and details of what I did so that it might be useful for someone else later.

Was going to top up with Lifeguard, but given the car has done 110,000 km, I might take the opportunity to do a flush and  filter change with Gulf Western Syntrans.  If guys like Ralph and Jet are using it, that's good enough for me.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Use fittings that come from the box to the cooler. 10mm hose is fine. The inlet at the box and PWR cooler are only 7-8mm.  Are you by passing the heat exchanger or running in series.

Get rid of the std plastic hoses. 3/8 barbed cooler is fine. Take a look at the inlet and outlet of the cooler is a small size. They are all the same from 5/16 to 1/2 inch barb.

Use gulf western Syn . I have it in 3 cars . About $150 for 20L. I suggest a metal pan with a drain if its a plastic one and change the mechatronics plug sleeve at the same time.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZF-6hp26-ford-bmw-Automatic-Transmission-Mechatronic-Plug-Sleeve-six-speed-OE/191650661670?epid=25006064004&hash=item2c9f450526%3Ag%3AOw4AAOSwDNdVvfsE&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=zf+6+speed++fittings&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

Use the metal gasket,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-non-genuine-ZF-6HP26-6-Spd-Automatic-Trans-Steel-Sump-pan-Conversion-kit/201433334380?hash=item2ee65cc26c:g:r4YAAOSwFnFV~g1v

You need a pair of these and these.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aeroflow-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Adapter-Fittings-2-Pack-Suit-Ford-ZF-6HP26-6/192245865004?epid=16015387921&hash=item2cc2bf1a2c%3Ag%3ABNwAAOSwlXhZZjQZ&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=zf+gearbox+oil++fittings&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

https://www.enginemaster.com.au/aeroflow-straight-hose-barb-3-8-to-8an-female-af41~1203

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Thanks heaps Arron! I am bypassing the heat exchanger, so plan is now to use the Aeroflow right angle fitting out of the box, then 8 AN to 3/8" barb adaptor, then hose to the cooler, with my switch plumbed on along the way somewhere.

In reality, there's probably no reason why I can't leave the coolant hoses hooked up to the heat exchanger temporarily if the front one won't reach up to the t-piece - but at least sorting that isn't dependent on having the transmission open or the bumper off, so won't be time critical on the day.

For anyone else looking for it, the Gulf Western Syntrans is now called Syn-TS. Product code for 20L is 32058. Rang GW direct and they have sent me a drum for $153 shipping included.

Just getting parts sorted so I can do this as soon as my warranty is done. I'll put up pics etc when I do.

Edit: Checked last night when doing the fuel filter and coolant - has a steel pan so will just grab gasket, filter and mech sock.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d