BA Falcon NA + T Serious Backfire Issue

Camsta97

• Member For: 5y 10m 16d

Hmm, so little update on my last post, 2 weeks ago the car was tuned to suit 10psi, Although during tuning it began to break down under load and carry on, so it sat for a week while I saved up the coin for new plugs and genuine ford coil packs

So today I spent $320 on genuine ford coil packs, and roughly $60 on iridium plugs, gapped to 0.7mm, Once I finished this I took it for a drive, but thus like before the poxy piece of sh*t wouldnt boost over 4 psi without a loud and very noticible bang bang bang bang as you'll see in the video below, I then proceeded to go and buy a raceworks 255lph fuel pump as it was on the list to be done anyway along with a new ryco hi flow fuel filter, BUT! the issue is still their, can't boost over 4 psi according to the gauge, and just loses all power and starts popping and backfiring, In the second video it will rev in park all the way to limiter without a miss or any issue, no matter what happens a check engine light never comes on, so far I've concluded the following could be I <3 Bananased

Cam ange sensors

TPS

Valve Springs < Really hope its not that one

Any ideas as to what it could be? Personally I'm leaning towards valve springs, which would suck because that means the car will be off the road for another month until I have $1200 to get them done :( 

Edited by Camsta97

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

umm, that sounds like rod-knock. That engine won't last long with a tune like that. Put it back to how it was before you started tuning it, including the factory tune and if it still does it, I'd be saving up to replace your engine. If going back fixes it, don't go back to that tuner.

hahah oh sheeeeeeeeit, Are you positive? because on a cold morning it will start second key and pur like a kitten without a single issue, can free rev it in park and it wont miss a beat all the way to limiter, its just when it gets to 4-5 psi of boost it does that sh*t

That rattle you can kinda hear in the video is the exhaust mount also,

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

well, if the tuner caused this situation (based on the testing I said to do in my post above), then it won't matter how strong the engine is...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nah havnt gotten to the bottom of it, I put it down to just an old warn out na barra, 300k old valves and valve springs so I'm just going to swap it for a standard turbo motor, took it back for a re tune and made no different, live data was showing everything was working the way it was supposed to until it began building boost and it was like all the compression just vanished 

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 5y 7m 19d

This is not a good thing, the cut sounds like a over boosting issue from a factory car that I drive. 

Basically if I made over 13psi, it would go into a bucking "bronco mod". And not want to get into boost, are you sure the waste gate lines are correctly installed and not backwards?