Process west surge earth wire

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 4m 13d

Hey guy I have a fg xr6t with a process west surge tank. I recently had some work done to my car and when I got it back found that the earth wire is only on the tank mounting bolt. Can anyone please tell me where the other end of the wire goes (pictures would help heaps)

any help appreciated

cheers

• Donating Members

I have the later type with the pumps enclosed, there are two wires connected at the front (both red) I can hear the pumps still when turning ignition on. But the black wire that comes on it’s own is hanging there

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 23d

The tank with the pumps mounted internally has the pumps earthed internally to the tank itself.

Most shops will add and extra cable for the earth as the tank alone doesn't have the best earthing connection to the car.
Its normally run from a bolt on the body of the surge tank to a bolt on the sump of the motor.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 29d

The black connection is the negative. Wire should be connected to this. UNLESS its a twin setup, been earthed internally and both positives run to the connections to stage the pumps.

Do you have twin pumps, are they staged? If not the earth should be connected.

pwfgstdw300.jpg

FORGET THAT,

they could be wired like this. Two pumps , two connections. ALSO did you have the old style process west surge. Earth was probably left over from that.

process-west-anti-surge-tank-003.jpg

Edited by arronm

• Donating Members

I gave process west a call and they said the earth is from the mounting bolt to a sump bolt as mentioned above. I do have twin pumps so they are earthed in the pump housing it self. I had oil pump gears done so my sump was removed and the earth wasn’t put back on the sump bolt.

Do you think there would be a issue running a longer cable straight to the battery to the same surge mounting bolt as my battery has been relocated to the passenger side.

thanks heaps for the replies guys

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 30d

im more worried the workshop didnt put the wire back. who was it? same mob who tuned and installed the surge?

if they missed that id be worried :/