Boost, no Boost, Boost???

GOSSY

• Member For: 6y 3m 30d

Hey all, I have had a great run so far with my XR50T Ute performing flawlessly

Was doing a few maintenance items on my ute the other day and decided to do the wastegate/boost solenoid trick spraying it with WD40. I used thishttp://www.3inone.com.au/products#silicone and was fine for a few days. Now, when I floor it all performs normally when I get on boost, but when I try to get on boost again the motor just labours and struggles to rev (still revs smoothly) but there is no boost. No check lights come on when this problem is occurring. It will not get on boost again until I turn the car off and start it again, then will get boost for 1 or 2 pulls then same thing occurs until I restart the engine, which to me points to something electronic not mechanical.

When no boost is occurring the car still runs OK, just about the 1/4 of power of normal. I've put air through all the ports on the boost solenoid and all flow air. Should I run a hose from the actuator to turbo direct (bypassing the solenoid) to see if the problem re-occurs to rule out the solenoid?

Would it be a boost solenoid, wastegate actuator, flapper, or something else entirely?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

Yes, you should bypass the solenoid to try it.

it's likely related to the boost solenoid, but possibly the wastegate actuator diaphragm.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 24d

So arronm you think it is the solenoid?

Was about to pull the trigger on this,  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-FORD-WASTE-GATE-SOLENOID-BA-BF-FG-MK2-FALCON-SX-SY-TERRITORY-TURBO/221833362489?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649  it's the same as you posted I assume? Will get an answer once I bypass the solenoid and take it for a run.

Bypassed the boost solenoid and what do you know? Boost and layrubber.gif for days, pass after pass on a private test track, in Mexico of course.

Will clean the solenoid with contact cleaner and test as was informed elsewhere, if that doesn't work I will just buy a new one, but for now, I am so relieved that the problem has gone and so grateful to all the champions here.

Thanks Gents.notworthy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to buy a new solenoid just for peace of mind even though the old one was working fine, installed the new one, all good for a week and now the same symptoms. Put the old one back in and same. Will be good for a couple of pulls, then no boost. Turn off and restart engine, then maybe 1 pull or several and then no boost again.

I now think it may be wastegate actuator, but why is it when I restart the engine I get boost again? Doesn't that point to electrical rather than mechanical failure?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 24d

You do have the solenoid connected the correct way right??

Top of solenoid goes to compressor housing, bottom to wastegate. You said bypassing the solenoid and all was good>?????

Is the Boost pressure sensor ok.