Any clue which diff this is?

Whiterin

• Member For: 6y 18d

This is my second post now, but I'm hoping it's fine since it's about an entirely different thing. Anyways. After buying my XR6 Turbo, I found out some stuff and I'm now 95% sure it wasn't originally a turbo. At this point, most of the things that would be different between turbo and non-turbo have been changed by myself, or whoever owned it previously. I've got no clue about the diff though. I was told on here previously that there would be information on the diff, but as you can see from the picture, the only thing you can make out is the ratio. I was hoping maybe someone on here is really familiar with these and could tell me which diff this is, turbo or non turbo? Thanks again!

35955009_10156350454446655_2025085455250

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

3.45 came with N/A 5 speed manual. 

Maybe others.  I will check. 

Measure the half shaft diameter.  This will tell if 78 or 86 diff.  

I will post more info. 

edit: Ok.  If its 3.45 it's a M78.  So small diff.  Is it LSD

M86 ratio is 3.46.

I think it's LSD, but I'm not sure to be honest. So it'd probably be a good idea to look into getting a different diff then? An M86 is what I'm looking for? The reason I wasn't sure before is because I found some stuff saying that both the N/A and Turbo came with 3.45, but that the turbo had a different "spine"? I don't even know what that means entirely. My knowledge of differentials and suspension is pretty limited.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

Jack both wheels off the ground and spin one side. If LSD the other wheel will spin the same way (M78 has cones). How much power you got.

1 hour ago, arronm said:

Jack both wheels off the ground and spin one side. If LSD the other wheel will spin the same way (M78 has cones). How much power you got.

TBH. Hard to tell. Like I said, it wasn't even originally a turbo, so I don't know what all has been done to it. I will say though, I question if it is even making the 320ish HP it is meant to stock.