adjustable cam timing

fgxrsux

• Member For: 5y 9m 16d

quick question I hope someone can help

I have these adjustable cam sprockets in the car and I did not put them there, I am just trying to fix the thing. it has a tapping noise, increases with rotation, I have determined that the timing jumped when it broke a tensioner.

because these sprockets are not oem I was wondering if someone can confirm the timing marks? do I go off the line between retard/advance or do I go off the little drilled spot on the top of the sprocket?

going off the little drill mark/spot it looks like the left cam is about 5 teeth out to the left while the right cam is at 12 o'clock? any help will be appreciated, cheers

CAM02588.jpg

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

The dot/indent next to your top arrow on both sprockets needs to be at 12 o'clock and line up with the a yellow link on the chain. There's also another 2 yellow link that needs to line up with a mark on the crank sprocket.

Some info here 

Edited by Renton
  • Thanks 1

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

No probs. And the 4th coloured chain link is orange not ellow I think and it's behind the top on the crank sprocket/tone wheel at about 1 o'clock. There's a fair bit of info on here if you search timing. HTH :thumbsup:

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I posted the workshop manual.  It has everything you need to know. 

I told you to check the timing. 

Read the manual it's all in  there. 

• Member For: 5y 9m 16d

its not the best, the manul is designed for ford, I guess they didnt expect to change a full chain under warranty. it shows how to do the tensioner etc but no complete guide for doing it all. one thing I saw though is that ford use loctite 5900...and that made me thread and snap several bolts. I don't think I will get another ford

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

No probs. And the 4th coloured chain link is orange not ellow I think and it's behind the top on the crank sprocket/tone wheel at about 1 o'clock. There's a fair bit of info on here if you search timing. HTH :thumbsup:

aftermarket chain, no coloured links on it, but as long as the timing lines up im good