Black smoke runs rough

Bailey98

• Member For: 5y 10m 7d

Hey guys new to the page so I am sorry if this has been covered wasn’t sure exactly what to search.

On the weekend I slapped in a walbro 460 fuel pump, some Bosch 1000cc injectors, and a Turbosmart fuel pressure reg. Now I set the reg for around 60psi(4 bar) injectors all plugged in fuel pump all in and wired up.  Was all ready to fire it up so I did, now I expected it to run rough and alittle bit of black smoke but well enough to get it on the trailer for my tune. But there are just clouds of black smoke, and it runs like absolutele crap, won’t rev up unless I open the throttle the whole way first then will rev lightly. Question is, is this expected from changing from stock fuel set up too this?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 24d

Yeh , nar ..... it needs to be tuned to suit “Before” you hit the key buddy 

Schweet shot though and a very good chance the tune shop will need to address your pump installation anyway so you’ve probably saved nothing but wasted half your day :) 

on the flip side your results are 100% spot on for the installation ;) , that’s a win though ? 

• Like 2

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d

Totally expected - (un)lucky it even started.

Definitely do not rev it.

The Ford ECU/mapping etc does not cope with any changes - it still expects the stock setup and doesn't adjust anything.

Get it onto the trailer to the tuner and don't "have a play"

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 10m 7d

Ahhh perfect cheers guys will refrain from starting it, I’m used to rb’s which ecu’s cope to modification abit more. And only got the xr6 a week ago. Any idea what I’d roughly see on the dyno power and torque wise? Apart from the fuel system it has a 4”dump with a 100cell cat, and 3” after the cat, also a bigger intercooler.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d

You'll see whatever the tuner reckons is proper for the car - the XR6T's are not a plug and play type of thing.

High 200's would be great - maybe more, maybe less.

If he gets much more than that without spending lots of time with the car then I'd be questioning how long the engine is going to last.

These are the questions you should be asking the person you're trusting your car to and paying the money to.

Make sure he knows everything you've done to the car before he starts working on it.