Non Turbo Barra Mods

Redlightandy

• Member For: 5y 9m 14d

Thought I’d add this here as my XR6 is non Turbo, so I have a 2005 XR6 Im not into tyre frying performance these days I enjoy my Ford and generally I am pleased with its performance, the old Barra 6 is a good motor and it does the miles without giving me dramas, I intend on using it to haul my 17 foot boat to and fro the South Coast which involves either the Clyde or Brown mountains , I have several questions aid like to ask the pros

1) Cooling, are there bigger capacity radiators about? V8 maybe? My Ford doesn’t run hot but the Clyde will sort the good from the bad on a hot day.

2) Braking, I have slotted n drilled rotors and generally she stops but my car is auto so there’s no engine brake to help you when going down hills specially when you have another ton and a half hanging off the back end and your constantly on the brakes trying to not over speed on the down hill twists and curves and your brakes do get hot fairly quickly, Fords have always had good brakes but what can be done to help? Decent quality pads or calliper conversion?

3) Auto Box, again doesn’t give me any grief and has a good cooler would there be a shift kit around to help with towing.

4) The Barra, she’s done 300 k but is looked after, doesn’t really get flogged much except for the odd qwick trip to a Sydney , without talking about Turbos what can I do to it to maybe get a bit more punch from it.

5) Exhaust, has a bog stock set up, headers would help but what about the rest of the system.

Couple of years ago I made the mistake of running that crappy green fuel in it, she didn’t like it, it developed a bit of a flat spot of idle, I pulled the top off yesty to check the plugs, number 3 had a lot of white corrosion type crap e erywhere, the plug looked ok so brushed them up and put it back together it seems to run better, how long do you expect to get from the coils, I was thinking maybe one was breaking down, the plugs have been it for three years the car isn’t used much , what’s the best best plugs to run.

What options are there on fuel I use BP premium