Tickling Up A Barra

Redlightandy

• Member For: 5y 10m 6d

Hi guys Im a newbie but avid Ford fan for 35 years, I have a 2005 XR6 I have just bought her out of retirement and I am cleaning her up, I tow a 17 foot boat, in the interest of making sure she’s up to the job what can I do to her to make her abit more toey , 

the engine is stock but has 300 k on it , it runs perfect and the auto and diff give no probs, tranny has a cooler, I use the Clyde Mountain to get to the coast and that mountain is enough to test any car , especially in summer, so I’m thinking of fitting a temp gauge to the tranny, can u get a larger capacity sump, is there a shift kit available for heavy towing, I could fit a fan to the cooler,

The engine I’m thinking about fitting an oil cooler and aftermarket gauges for temps, mine is not turbo as much as I’d like a turbo, Im not twenty anymore my hoon days are long gone but I still like to have power on tap, my car does not lack power we’ve done some real fast runs to Sydney, she loves BP Premium fuel it really keeps her at her best, I haven’t towed my boat with the Ford yet , not down to the coast yet, it has slotted n drilled rotors, what’s the preferred pads for towing use using auto box and your constantly on the brakes heading down the Clyde.

I was thinking about an exhaust upgrade with headers, dont want it too noisy I wish to not attract mr plod, change the mufflers out.

suspension wise she rides like a typical Ford, shocks might want a freshen up, what items are avail to beef the suspension don’t want hard handling.

Only fairly minor things just want reliability, torque and the ability to tow in all weather conditions safely and not stress the old girl out too much, hit me with your ideas troops.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 28d

Welcome to the forum!

Clyde mountain - you Canberra based then? Me too. Yep that's a brake killer that one. My Kluger rotors were starting to pulse and that trip with a fully loaded trailer finished them off.

Personally I reckon get a set of DBA rotors, either standard or T2. They'll handle that fine and good enough quality to resist warping. I wouldn't waste your money on the T3 stuff if you are flogging them towing.

Give Matt at Race Brakes Sydney a call and see what he recommends for pads.

Actually I'm fitting upgraded brakes to my 04 XR6T pretty soon so might have a set of DBA rotors and QFM HPX pads for the front that I don't need that have plenty left in them.

I like the KYB shocks as a decent but cost effective option. Other than that, for what you want just make sure all your bushes etc are good. Others might have more suggestions re suspension for towing.

• Member For: 5y 10m 6d

She’s been sitting for two years, I know she needs front hubs, I got stuck one with a collapsed bearing, I had an old AU Wagon I wrecked it had new hubs but were non abs there in my XR6 now, it stops ok but Id like the proper hubs, I don’t want to mess with it too much as it drives like new, towing is another story we have a boat n horse float we use the 2016 Navara it’s got twin hair dryers on a Cummins diesel, but it’s manual gearbox I lost a leg so can’t drive a manual which is why I’m putting the BA back into commission , it’s qwik but I’d like it quicker and the tranny beefed, 

yes im in Canberra lol lot of XRs here lol