timing cover removal

fgxrsux

• Member For: 5y 9m 17d

does anyone know if the water pump and alternator need to come off to remove the timing cover? I bought this fg with a little rattle, previous owner said he did the timing chain in it and when I pulled the rocker cover the new chinese plastic guides were broken and the chain is slapping around though it hasnt skipped.

ive undone all of the long front bolts on the timing cover and 4 going up from the sump, I can move the top of the case by levering off the block but it seems to be stuck around the water pump, do I need to remove the water pump and alternator to get this case off?

also I'd like to thank the genius at ford that thought using 2 T40 torx bolts at the top of the cover was a great idea, its great for snapping torx bits, oh and also a big thankyou to the mongrel that thought it would be a good idea to make everyone use a special $200 tool to pull the harmonic balance off...just a warning to others, if you need to do a chain in these engines, its cheaper to drop in a new engine

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Yes, you need to remove the alternator bracket bolts to get the front cover off, but you don't have to remove the water pump itself, from memory.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

thanks. I actually worked it out just before reading this. it turns out that the runner is stuffed and the new tensioner is to, it has collapsed. do you know how to remove the bottom gear so I can get the left hand runner out? ive run out of daylight now, I just cable tied the chain in place so I can do the runner and tensioner

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

oh, of course. haha

I'm pretty sure they're just bolted in... I can't remember exactly what method was used to hold them in place. I just remember you had to remove the front cover, tensioner, timing chain and crank sprocket to be able to get the guides out.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

pretty sure it's just bolted into place

of course you need to make sure the timing marks are in place before you go mucking around with the timing chain etc.

• Member For: 19y 6m 6d

crank sprocket will just pull off, no bolts to undo. You may need to use a little leverage if its firm.

Job can be done with water pump in place but getting a real good clean around that surface area is tricky due to the limited space.

Tip - don't forget to run some sealant on the sump sealing surface as well. The work shop manual doesn't cover that part of the install process because its part of the sump remove replace procedure in the manual rather then the front cover procedure. If you don't seal the sump surface it will leak oil.

thanks for the tips, I couldnt see a bolt in the crank sprocket, thought it was odd. as for the chain, I cable tied the cams to the chain and cable tied the right side to the guide so it shouldnt move, whats the best sealant recommended?

CAM02569.jpg

broken runner

CAM02571.jpg

collapsed tensioner (less that 12 months old)

CAM02573.jpg