Fuel pump upgrade

Benji81

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

Yes, but all that fuel in the tank  under acceleration is to the rear and up, The pickup is dry from tank fuel. All its getting is return fuel. once that's consumed it will surge.

1 hour ago, Lennox said:

I have the same big pod with walbro 460 in my car and at racewars it surged on e85 at about 800 meters with the fuel gauge showing a little under 1/3 tank. Are you saying you were doing the 1000m runs with 1/4 tank and no issues?
I did a skid first and then launched pretty much straight away so wonder if I just drained the whole pod?

Yes, but that car runs 98. I would say the pod doesnt hold enough fuel (E85) for 24 seconds WOT. For racewars you need a surge, OR keep fuel over 1/2 tank.

My E85 F6 runs a surge.

• Member For: 19y 7m 1d

Also consider this.

The hotter the fuel pump runs the less it will flow. If you are having a current issue or experiencing resistance in the wiring kit the pump will not flow correctly. This can cause a fuel system setup that can handle lets say 700hp to only support say 600. 

This is why you need heaps of head room in your fuel system. If the problem went away with a full tank of fuel it could also mean that the additional fuel is having a cooling effect. Alot to fuel systems mate and Im by no means an expert. 

I still sugest having the wiring kit checked. 

How much boost are you running?

Is the fuel reg stock?

Aaronms correct, 1000m sprints is really asking alot from that type of fuel system setup!

If you look at the fuel tank design in a sedan the pod would still be quite submerged with a 1/3 of a tank remaining.

The fuel would need to travel an 80 odd degree wall to get to the furthest rear most part of the tank. At speed the fuel would stabilise.

In tank solutions do work if flow is correct.

Also return fuel is always in the high range, lets say 80odd % of fuel delivered is returned to the tank.

The likelyhood of the pod running dry with a 1/3 of a tank due to slosh is highly unlikely and technically difficult considering the design of the fuel tank setup in the Falcons.

When I ran a 460in tank I would get “surge” at around 10l or less, but later found my fuse holder was melting away causing resistance in the wiring system.

poor current = less fuel pump flow!

I too agree that a surge tank is a good solution for our cars. 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

I dont agree, under hard acceleration, the 1/3 tank could easily move away from the pickup. There is zero baffles in the tank. But at cruise its no issue. 

For this reason a surge tank is the  best option.

• Member For: 11y 1m 29d

It's only running 15psi boost and has stock fuel reg as far as I'm aware, setup was installed by tuner. I'll have a look at the wiring when I get a chance but yeah, seems sweet ever since and I never have it flat out for 20 seconds on the street.

Just the wiring from the top of the pump module under the seat yeah? Going into fuel tanks is not my thing haha.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 10d

Keep an eye out for the new Walbro 520 (F90000285) fuel pump to land in Australia. Aftermarket Industries have be spruking them.

Physically, the dimensions are exactly the same as the Walbro 400 series of fuel pumps including the supporting accessories (filter/harnss). This is quite a technological achievement for TI Automotive and great news for the entire performance market: a pump that flows 100+ lhr more (@ 80psi) utilising the same body.

• Like 1

Check the termination at the relay and fuse setup to the power box/fuse box. This is done under the bonnet. KPM Prrocess West and others have had these problems, its commmon knowledge in the industry. 

70 psi (aprox 55base + 15 psi boost) on paper is good for around 775hp on E85 on a single 460. that's providing all aspects of the rest of the setup is ideal/correct.

If you experience flow drop off then you can expect a dramatic reduction in deliverable supply and run into fuel starvation issues.

many factors need to be considered!

1 hour ago, mattyb said:

Keep an eye out for the new Walbro 520 (F90000285) - a pump that flows 100+ lhr more (@ 80psi) utilising the same body.

Do we know what the relief valve is set to in these new pumps?

In saying that its largely irrelevant at those flow specs, most base pressures are not set higher then 65psi, and most blokes don't run more than 35 pounds of boost.