G6ET knocking

sirhazchem

• Member For: 6y 13d

Hi all I'm hoping someone can help as im at a loss here is the story. 

I run 15/40 oil.

I did an oil change like I've done hundreds of times before everything was fine then the following starting happening. 

On first startup I get a knocking sound from the head maybe 5 seconds then it stops or if I'm driving around in the 60 zone and hold 2nd around 2/2500k rpm I get the same sound go to 3k and it stops it was perfectly fine themn started doing it wasn't a gradual thing. I've also notice the smell of oil like I had an oily hand on the exhaust then started the car.

I know it's not a blocked pickup because I just had the sump of and cleaned it any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by sirhazchem
Forgot something

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

what else did you do in the oil change? Doesn't sound related to oil unless you spilt some when filling to get that smell you reference. 

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

I'm guessing a noisy lifter, but why did you have the sump off? Check the rocker cover for leaks along the drivers side down onto the exhaust IS it the same oil that you normally use? Perhaps try a different brand/ grade of oil before you start pulling things apart Next to the oil filter is the oil temp switch take this out & fit a guage to check your oil pressure  perhaps the oil pickup has come loose of the pump. first up redo the oil & filter & go from there

• Member For: 6y 13d

I changed oil to the recommended by ford. 

Sump of as we thought it was a blocked pickup as that's the cheapest of all my options pickup was removed and cleaned reinstalled I'm thinking next is head is coming off for a service.