Haltech Falcon plug & play discussing thread

FiftyOne

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 22d

If it does what I've been longing for with instant switching LPG/PULP tunes I'll definitely be having a good look into it.

Will probably be due come tax (return) time to spend a bit on the car (I use it as my "annual bonus" - get a different big ticket item each year with it)

• Like 1

• Member For: 9y 10m 26d

LOL same.

Performance car parts distributors like RPM & Tuners Edge must love tax time every year. Every car enthusiast, regardless of preference, comes in for an ATO funded upgrade:dancing:

• Member For: 17y 9m 22d
12 hours ago, FiftyOne said:

How do they see this placed in the market? Xcals are only around $1000 and give most of the same functionality save the flex sensor

I find it amazing that everyone has been complaining for years about the lack of options, and when one presents itself they complain about the price. 

I've just had my car rewired again, as I wanted to modify my harness and delete the factory PCM. Think about the costs involved with supplying a unit and making a harness, compared to the new replacement Elite 2500. Let alone having  FREE  tuning software with the package...  The price comparison would be comparable to still running HP or SCT......

The biggest problem now, is that anyone with an Elite can tune and modify their own tunes. This will undoubtedly affect the income of some performance shops in the short term. But will increase workloads for engine builders, as more engines will be damaged/destroyed by amateur tuners.. The cycle will go full circle.

15 hours ago, k31th said:

Live tuning is something that we've always wanted, but will not get, I don't think, due to the slow data rate into and out of the physical hardware. Same thing with as hardware limitations to power, the same thing happens with data rates :rtfm:

Dale has confirmed that it is a replacement unit and has live tuning.

Edited by HI PSI
  • Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 18d
4 hours ago, HI PSI said:

I find it amazing that everyone has been complaining for years about the lack of options, and when one presents itself they complain about the price. 

I think it's not so much about the price and more about what real world benefits the extra cost provides for the majority of tuned street cars. Pcmtec are doing boost by gear in the ba/bf/early fg's and with flex fuel in development it will be a hard one to overlook.

A supply, fit and tune of the Haltech will cost around 4 grand give or take, and the average joe in their 300rwkw street car just isn't going to see where their money went, compared to flash tuning.

It doesn't mean that it is overpriced or not worth it but it would have to be priced much lower to get people to swap over. New customers will be a different story I think.

Haha that said I would swap anyway cos #racecar, if it was a higher priority on my things to buy list.

Edited by Puffwagon
a comma :)

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 17d
4 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

I think it's not so much about the price and more about what real world benefits the extra cost provides for the majority of tuned street cars.

Yeah basically this.   I can justify the $1000 + maybe? $1000 cost for a very reputable tuner to do the job.  For upwards of 3, plus I still need to take it to get the tune done at cost, not to mention the fact if I can't plug it straight in with a base map that just works (which won't always be the case for what some builds will be; that starts to get expensive.
But will reserve final judgement on what the reviews are and the actual price when released.