Exhaust size 500kw.

Goeer

• Banned
  • Member For: 8y 1m 12d

I don't own a T but do own a current model 2.4 ltr Whipple  Supercharger running only 8psi with a conservative tune, on a BF GT. Hope that gives me some gred with you Turbo guys. Anyway, car currently has Genie high flow extractors and cats. with xforce cat back 2 inch sports system. Wold the current 2 inch cat back system be ok after a pulley upgrade to 500kw or would a 2.5 or a 3 system be the way to go. Currently have two 2 inch pipes running side by side with a muffler about one metre away from the cats, and another muffler at the back with twin tips.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

twin two inch will probably be too small for 500kW at the wheels, at a guess, but probably fine for 500kW at the engine. :spoton:It's really only a guess though, but if it was me, I'd be upgrading to twin 2.5's or twin 3's for ridiculous noise and power capability.

• Member For: 5y 10m 21d
I don't own a T but do own a current model 2.4 ltr Whipple  Supercharger running only 8psi with a conservative tune, on a BF GT. Hope that gives me some gred with you Turbo guys. Anyway, car currently has Genie high flow extractors and cats. with xforce cat back 2 inch sports system. Wold the current 2 inch cat back system be ok after a pulley upgrade to 500kw or would a 2.5 or a 3 system be the way to go. Currently have two 2 inch pipes running side by side with a muffler about one metre away from the cats, and another muffler at the back with twin tips.
898980974c386828edc71e048b242975.jpg

• Banned
On 5/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, k31th said:

twin two inch will probably be too small for 500kW at the wheels, at a guess, but probably fine for 500kW at the engine. :spoton:It's really only a guess though, but if it was me, I'd be upgrading to twin 2.5's or twin 3's for ridiculous noise and power capability.

I am only talking kw at the engine. I think I would be happy with that since I don't want to fry my engine.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, Renton said:

Definitely only twin 2"? Seems very small. I would've thought you'd need at least twin 3".

Not sure what the question mark is for. I didn't mention the word twin, I thought a twin system meant that the exhaust exited the rear on both sides of the car. With my car it only exits on the drivers side. There is a muffler with twin tips. This is my first car with mods, I am not up with the correct terminology, and it does not help that I am not very mechanically minded.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

a "twin" system is from the engine (or close to it) all the way back in twin pipes

a "twin rear" is twin from somewhere in the middle to rear twin exits (but could be four actual tailpipes)

a "twin tailpipe" is usually a single exhaust pipe all the way back (but can be twin pipes running with each other instead of a single pipe) but with two outlets at the rear in the same place.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Your exhaust will look like this, I doubt x-force would make 2 inch for your  model... It should be twin 2.5 which will be ok for 400rwkw.

V8g3gxjXwWVryLR70hZ5PY06Rp8J7Qzb8tnobUMq

Edited by arronm

• Banned

Yep, that's it.  Come to think of it, why the hell would my pipes be 2 inch when I am fairly sure factory stock pipes are 2 inch. Why would the previous owner bother replacing the factory stainless system for the same or maybe even smaller diameter mild steel pipes. Don't make sense.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:19 PM, arronm said:

Are you sure the exhaust is 2 inch. Measure to be sure 

That's what the advertisement said. But yes I will measure it tomorrow, bit cold outside tonight in Adelaide. I will clamp a clamp onto one of the pipes then measure the gap.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:30 PM, k31th said:

a "twin" system is from the engine (or close to it) all the way back in twin pipes

a "twin rear" is twin from somewhere in the middle to rear twin exits (but could be four actual tailpipes)

a "twin tailpipe" is usually a single exhaust pipe all the way back (but can be twin pipes running with each other instead of a single pipe) but with two outlets at the rear in the same place.

Thanks for the info, although it nearly gave me a headache. I did a search last night on google but couldn't find anything as straight forward as your post. Thanks again.

• Banned
22 hours ago, arronm said:

Are you sure the exhaust is 2 inch. Measure to be sure 

You were right, after measuring,  the exhaust turned out to be 2.5 inches and not the 2 inches as mentioned in the advertisement.