Rentons bunky BA XR6T build

Renton

• Member For: 14y 5m 13d

I know they are the LPG ones but I've never heard the term "anti backfire" for plugs before.

My understanding was the smaller gap meant less chance of the spark "blowing out", for want of a better term.

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

So is that what the anti backfire is on those, just a smaller gap? I googled the anti backfire plug and couldn't find any info to say what the difference from a normal plug was.

Small update

Have sold the T5 gearbox, and purchased a T56 6 speed with Mal Wood option 5 clutch courtesy of Brad @HI PSI :yeahyeah:

While I have the box out and waiting for the new one to arrive I'll be doing the rear main seal on the motor. 

So tonight I pulled that measly excuse of a gearbox out. Just need to pull clutch and flywheel out tomorrow ready for pick up on the weekend.

Got extensions?

eJnXFEG.jpg?1

That's a 500mm with a 375mm wobble drive on the end

y7uctrn.jpg?1

6H4nKkK.jpg?1

• Like 2

I honestly don't think doing the gearbox on the floor is that bad. Did it quite comfortably laying on my creeper. I think most of it's easier to deal with if on the ground. Starter motor bolts were easy. Did it from underneath, 3/8 drive cordless ratchet, could've used a normal ratchet no issues, 6" extension and 13mm socket no probs. If you're trying to do it from the top in the engine bay then you're going to have real trouble lol

I have done, and could think of a lot worse jobs. I'd much rather do this stuff on cars than say dig holes for soakwells, or landscaping, paving etc. Try working on boats where you have so much crap stuffed into the smallest spaces. Quite often laying wedged into voids working at fukt up angles, arms at full extension working by feel only. It was actually quite therapeutic for me working on the XR last night after the sh*t I had to do at work this week :nod:

Good idea getting rid of that t5 before it self implodes

Yep was always the plan. Probably happened a little sooner than expected, but the T56 was too good a price to pass up!

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

So I removed the clutch and flywheel this morning. Appears rear main isn't leaking. Looks like it's the sump gasket. So I guess it's engine out time. If engine is out and sump is coming off where do I stop....... hmmmmmm

Hey @eff xr6t still want to get rid of those F6 rods?

Not the best photo as I already gave it a wipe

BbQz0qd.jpg?2

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I would put in new RM seal while box is out. Dont forget new spigot bearing. And install remote clutch bleeder. Use alloy CSC. Are you aware of the flywheel bolt install and loctite procedure. If not call me.   

Yep definitely going to do the rear main seal as well. Will pretty much do most gaskets and seals while it's out.

Are you referring to the offset bolt hole in the crack for flywheel? Yes I found a good removal/install procedure on that this morning. https://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/ba/308-01.html

New box has the alloy csc and remote bleeder that comes with mal wood clutch kit.

QW6RKnX.jpg?1

An0u5pB.jpg?1

Edited by Renton