Rentons bunky BA XR6T build

Renton

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Work for over 50,000km as well, ask me how I know!

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

Looking for Crow valve springs at the moment. After a google search it looks like ebay is cheapest so far with $418 delivered. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

I decided to make my own valve spring removal/installation tool, so last Friday I started making some parts at work. I also have some mild steel plate to use for the base. I just need to cut to size. Cut some pieces of 20mm sched 80 pipe and some SS round bar. I'll tig weld the caps onto the pipe, then put in the lathe and put a small center drill in the cap for the bolts to locate. Doing it this way as that's the material we had and was much easier than machining them out of 2" stainless round bar. Have some m12 x 110 a4-70 bolts I will grind a point on the end to locate in caps. 

t3r0OaR.jpg?1

Just did a rough outline of where I'll cut the window to access the top of valve stem. I was thinking of doing the one on the left, but wasn't sure if there'd be any strength issues or slipping off the spring retainer. So I'll probably just do it like the one on the right. Must be a reason the other manufactures do it like that.

WplDhQn.jpg?1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

How much boost are you going to be running 

Crow have 3 part numbers 

Edited by arronm

All of it! 

Didn't actually talk about a boost level with Rob. The Crow springs on ebay #1809 are 95lbs. I'm guessing those or the 90's would be the go. I haven't checked with him yet.

Edited by Renton

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

1808 = 90lbs

1809 = 105lbs 

VTKBA6T-24 = 1809 with retainers. 

you know you can hire the tools for $85. 

That same kit number is on eBay from different sellers and list different 2 different pressures and specs. So I was going off the Crow website for the pressures. They list 1808= 90 and 1809= 95.

Yes looked into hire the tool. Would be around 100 by the time I post it back.

Or I can make it for free at work, and I get to keep it ?

Edited by Renton

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

You tuner will tell you which springs.  Dont go heavy if your running say 15psi.

http://www.crowcams.com.au/Portals/0/Catalogue/Index PDF 2018 Cat/Ford 6 DOHC BA-FG.pdf?ver=2017-10-19-132458-293

Yep will be checking with him which springs to go for. I was guessing tune would be around the 12-15psi mark. Do you think the 1809 would be ok for that?

Just trying to find the best place to source them from at the moment. Best I've found for the VTKBA6T-24 kit at $418 delivered is ebay, and Intune MS at $419 delivered for the 1808 springs only. 

This is where I was getting the info from. Just noticed their listing here is with the standard retainers for both, but the kit VTKBA6T-24 with 1809 springs comes with the retainers that are actually +40 thou giving the 105lb install pressure. 

http://www.crowcams.com.au/ShopbyProduct/tabid/92/ProdID/15638/CatID/319/VALVE_SPRING.aspx

http://www.crowcams.com.au/ShopbyProduct/tabid/92/ProdID/15640/CatID/319/VALVE_SPRING.aspx