Where the hell to tap into wiring!!!

ToddyG6E

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 25d

Hey guys, doing my gauges tonight and seen a million different options on various sites about where to get power and earth from, and prob asked on here a million times too, but WHERE is the best spot to tap in? Got a pod holder that goes ontop of the icc screen. Sorry if u regulars see this heaps, I just dont know the best spot and I wanna get stuck into it. Any pics would help heaps too. They are the saas gauges too. Cheers fellas, plz help!!

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

I would suggest the cig lighter socket.  If your careful, you can pop the plastic connector off, pry open the terminals and just wedge the new wires in.   It'll be on a fuse, it'll be on accessories, it's in the area, its easy.

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

Even easier than that, use the ciggy power source but use narva easy taps to tap into the circuit. Supercheap, autobarn and even Bunnings stock them.

• Donating Members

Cheers for that fellas. Wasnt sure if ciggy lighter was suitable or not. So just run both gauges power, earth, ect,to eachother and then run the one line to lighter? When they say on instructions to run one positive to acc and one to battery, do those to go to eachother? Or do u need the lighter power and a constant power going to battery? It says so that when u change dial colour and turn car off, the memory keeps it as it was before switching off. I got a boost gauge and a voltage gauge. Yeah I used those clips on me R1 awhile ago and had problems later. Gonna solder and heatshrink em. Not bad machenically, but sh*thouse at wiring. Dont wanna let some auto elec rob me either. Cheers again. Please tell me what goes where

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You only need the "constant" if you want the memory feature. If you want to just switch 'em on when the car, then the cig lighter circuit is fine. Lighting yep, just run 1 wire and branch it to both gauges. You might need a potentiometer on the wire so that the gauges can be dimmed to suit the standard lighting system, otherwise it might be overly bright. (most gauges are overly bright).

• Donating Members

Thanks heaps fellas. Got em in and working finally. Just gotta tidy up and put everything back together. Cheers n thanks for the info. This sites the best, always informed QUICK responses. I no on me motorbike forums it takes days to get someone talking.?

• Donating Members

Haha, dont start on me bout pics mate. Lol whole nother story. Ive actually spoken to u before about this and I still havnt worked it out mate. Managed to change me profile pic, but been into that imgur app a million times and theres nowhere to copy n paste. Followed all steps mate, but something doesnt want me puttin pics up. Gettin late now, might have another go at tech stuff tomoz. Is there another site besides imgur? All my pics ive taken in past to put on this site, are floating around on imgur with peeps commenting on em.lol. Cheers again mate.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

just long press on the uploaded link and "share direct link" to a notes app and then grab the link from there and paste the link into the reply box here.