Ba xr6t timming chain replacement question

jas98

• Member For: 11y 9m 2d

So I need to teplace timming cover gasket as I think its the cause of a large engine oil leack where it meets the roker cover and head (hopefully)

So while its off I want to replace the guides and chain with a set from a low k engine I had a while back that I stripped.

Mine (ba xr6t) has done 315000ks and the other set (from a N/A has done 120 000ks and looks to be in perfect condition.

Anyway. If im just changin chain straight over is it a matter of getting it to top dead center and making sure markings are lined up....remove tensioner and guides and thechain should slip off and new should go on (lined up) ? Ive done it before on a vn Late model camira but that looked allot simpleer then this one haha

Also....I know ill get people saying buy new etc. But I just want to know if that's the way to change it.
Cheers

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 29d

Its all here. Can members tell me if it works. NO gasket.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11mncdsEQkknv6A_7-Lv38T5UzS_GYros/view?usp=sharing

Edited by arronm

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Yep the link works.

You'll either have to have a good guess or have a torque wrench that can read quite low as the timing chain guide post is only 6mm iirc. It would be easy to over-tighten and damage if due care isn't taken.

The manual outlines what to do anyway.

Thanks..linked worked a treat 

Rubber parts as in suspension? If so that's all replaced...uncluding ball joints etc....engine mounds etc.

Just have a larg oil leak which I took power steering pump off and its like its comming from where the timming cover meets the head in the corner. So hopefully its not the head gasket haha.

I already have all gaskets to do it 

28 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Yep the link works.

You'll either have to have a good guess or have a torque wrench that can read quite low as the timing chain guide post is only 6mm iirc. It would be easy to over-tighten and damage if due care isn't taken.

The manual outlines what to do anyway.

Thanks. I think I have a small tourq wrench that goes about that low haha. I remeber it was only done up very lightly when I took it off spare engine

Edited by jas98

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

You may need the special balancer puller.  Is you car high power?

No all the rubber seals and gaskets on the top end of the engine while you have it apart...

Why would I say suspension.????:mosking:

Edited by arronm

Hahaha welll I supose you would say suspensin rubber parts if I said it only had 50 000ks on it haha ?

I have replaced practiclly every gasket and oring on engine besides front and rear crank seal...sump and head gasket in the last  70 000ish ks.

When I removed the balancer from the spare engine I used a cheap supercheap small 3 claw puller with the arms reversed (had to assemble it as I put arms in balancer...of that makes sence) seemed to work a treat. Saved me buying the dearer tool.

Oh and will swap balancers aswell haha as mines the original at 315 000ks. 

Also its just stock. Owner berfore me is my mate but before him they guy had it tuned to 18psi (not sure for how long) ...then the turbo failed cause of oil starvation. Replaced turbo and kept it stock after that. Before him it was owned by NSW police as a senior sargents unmarked highway patrol car.......so would have had a hard life haha but still goes good for all that

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Good luck with it, not a hard job, just time consuming...

Dont forget the central bolt. Easy mistake, it goes ALL the way through.

RPYd4V7h.jpg

z8LnmTUh.jpg

Edited by arronm