Manual Ute Traction

powelmac

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d
On 4/20/2018 at 12:36 PM, Ford Freak said:

end of the day its a ute with 1950's rear end dont expect it to be all that great.

What he said.   Interestingly, the weight distrubution of my ute vs a BF sedan is within 10-20kg on the back axle.  (I've got a sport bar, tub, hard lid, wing & towbar) 

The old saying "she's a little light in the back" simply isn't correct

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 7y 11m 15d

So I went and bought 18x10's all round with 265/35r18 Front and 285/35r18 semi slicks on the rear, which helped a little but still spins like crazy in 2nd. After that I went to suspension city and had the 2nd bottom leaf taken out to soften the spring and raised 10mm (now 30mm from bumpstop) which helped a little bit more but still spins easily in 2nd when planted (you can roll into nicely but this is only on lowest possible boost making 326rwkw). Aware that under acceleration the axle touches the bumpstop slightly I actually took them off to see if it allowed the spring to compress more but actually reduced grip so I slapped them back on. It's annoying because the car isn't dumped by any means (340mm hub to guard front & 350mm hub to guard rear) and I see others with the same if not more low managing to hook with upwards of 400rwkw

Some photos of the car:

http://s261.photobucket.com/user/macadaca/library/FG F6 Ute?sort=3&page=1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

dude ....utes and grip dont go together

ive had no grip since stock, make 450+++ now. its all useless kw on the street.

unless you want to street some 15's or 17s in a mickey thompson semi slick learn to live with it.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d

@powelmac last week I got Allsprings to mod my leaf springs similar to yours with the reverse leaf, also had them reverse wrap the front eye (more camber for same height) and reset height back to around 345-350mm (theoretically)

Planning to fit them this weekend and see how I go, do you think it's the reverse leaf making it too stiff? Obviously it fixed your tramp dramas so that may be the trade-off but sh*t I hope not

Assume you still have std FG turbo? ie. gt3576

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 8y 3m 17d

it's all about weight transfer, there is nothing wrong with leaf springs, and there is a lot of development put into them. Gazzard Brothers in Toowoomba are the leaf spring kings, mono linear rate springs, with traction rods are the go, along with a bound and rebound adjustable rear shocks. A good set of 90/10 (fast extension, slow compression) bound and rebound adjustable front shocks will prevent the tyres from unloading too quickly (break out into wheel spin would be the result)..

I wouldnt be too concerned about tyre width if you dont have any sidewall. I changed from a 285/30r18 federal 595 rs-r which would wheel spin at 200kph (with 600rwhp), to a 275/40r18 SS 595 and picked up a heap more traction, all due to 1" extra side wall (and it's quite a hard tyre compound)

pic courtesy of Gazzard Brothers built rear end BA Pursuit ute 

27459069_1859908917377337_22379868704217

• Like 1