Advice PLEASE- overboost, valve springs, flaps, tuna etc

Renton

• Member For: 6y 12d

Hi guys. Have spent the last few nights searching for info but haven't come up with any solid answers for my situation yet, and frankly, my head is starting to hertzz :surrenderwave:

Quick run down of the car:

03 ba xr6t 5spd man 210k kms

Process west cross over pipe

Plazmaman drivers side airbox

Plazmaman stage 1 intercooler

turbo bored and flapper valve mod

Turbosmart iwg75 actuator 12psi springs

3.5" cat and mid pipe into twin 2.5" system

Walbro gss342 fuel pump

SCT xcal3 flash tuner

Has overboost issue at the moment. Looking to get it tuned with bigger injectors. Have 60lbs seimens that were supplied with the car, not fitted, but no one in Perth wants to touch them. Everyone is pushing towards 1000cc bosch or equivalent. The two main tuners I have spoken to are saying it might need valve springs too. I'm happy to go for their tune and injectors, not chasing big power at the moment but was hoping not to put valve springs in this motor. Would rather put that money towards building up or buying a stronger motor to work with.

Would tuning the car to lower boost pressure negate the need for heavier valve springs? If this would work I was thinking to lower boost pressure I could change the springs in the wastegate actuator and just run 5 or 7 psi or put the stock actuator back on, along with either option I could put the stock turbine housing back on also. Or do all the other mods need more boost to work together correctly?

Thanks in advance.  

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

You have a 5 speed box. Stay below 300rwkw. Ask XFT to throw in a set of drilled Nizpro injectors and Simon will tune from there. He will have a few sets lying around. He will tune to what he thinks the box and or clutch will handle. If you keep boost low , shouldnt need valve springs. Tuner will advise and fit the correct actuator.

Did you research XR6 turbos before buying one.

Bad move buying a 5 speed...

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 6y 12d

Thanks for the reply. Xft offered ID1000' s. Didn't mention the nizpro option. 

Yes did the research and ppl were saying the 5 spd are weak. I mentioned it to the tuners and as I'm not chasing big hp yet they said as long as not launching hard and flat changing the box will be fine. Having said that, I got the car cheap enough with the thought that I'd be changing to a 6 spd, and a better motor down the track ☺

Edited by Renton

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Call XFT ask if they have any Nizpro injectors (they will have) and they will sort the rest out. 

Then keep that for a while and then upgrade to man or auto 6 speed...

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Price, Arnt you looking to get the car sorted on the cheap...

That 5 speed box dont need iD1000

Edited by arronm