Overboost issue

Leighxr6T

• Member For: 6y 2m 27d

Hi guys/girls

So I have a ba Xr6t auto and it came with an x3 tuner. It has 3 tunes on it 10psi 8psi and stock tune.

The 10psi will overboost to say 13-15psi

The 8psi will overboost to 9-10 psi

The stock will run flawlessly and hold 5 psi steady as can be.

First thoughts would have to be that the higher psi tunes are just... wrong?

If using the 10psi tune I bypassed the boost control solenoid and ran the waste gate actuator straight to the turbo and again runs 5 psi perfectly!

Is it the tune? Is something knackered?

Any help much appreciated!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

sounds like you have generic tunes (which suck and you should get a proper custom dyno tune) on the xcal, or at least one of those tunes is a custom tune that was suited for parts that have since been removed from the vehicle before sale.

Try and find out what's up with the xcal situation from the previous owner.

Oh ok. He’s since moved over east and can’t contact him because he changed numbers or something. He told me though that the tune was from lasernode? And matched the parts on the car, it’s only got a centre muffler delete.

Here’s a ‘semi’ update.

Friend came around and I was telling him my little saga. Anyway he said why don’t you use my GFB boost tee and see what happens. So I set the tee to stock psi, ran the car and sat in 5 psi solid as. Turned the boost up to 7 psi, ran solid as. Turned the psi up a little more and ran 8psi solid as. He had to go so didn’t play around long enough to see if it would get me a solid 10psi but it looks like it would do the job.

My question is, Could my boost solenoid wiring be faulty or something causing the solenoid not to work (replaced it with a used one already) or is the Boost Tee just masking the problem. Either way I just picked one up tonight and will be running it and seeing how I go.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

as the GFB needs a pressure sensor reading, it can adjust to the desired boost. The problem with this method is it is just masking the actual problem and you can risk running out of injector and grenading the engine if you get to a boost level that the current hardware cannot support.

Definitely need to take it somebody who knows how to tune these cars and get them to ensure that things won't end in tears.

• Like 2