BA Wagon tailshaft RPM with different diff

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 8m 20d

Ok so common knowledge is the ba/bf wagon is speed limited to 180 due to the long single piece tailshaft. They have a factory 3.23 diff.

Now I have been considering an upgrade since the turbo went on to a 3.7 LSD to help with the looong first gear in the BTR.

This means faster tailshaft RPM at the same speed(14% give or take) meaning max speed (based on tailshaft RPM) is now 157...

That speed might be hit on a 1/4 mile with that diff after all of my mods are done, and probably easy to hit overtaking a long truck in a 110 zone.

Is it a concern?

• Member For: 13y 8m 20d

I'm worried about the higher rotation of the driveshaft (which is the point of the limiter). The wagon will still do 180 as diff ratio doesn't determine the speed the ecu sees but the driveshaft will need to spin 14% faster to do it.

Will vibration/failure be an issue? Did ford leave a good safety margin? I can't see myself doing 180 but 160 is very easy to do on a strip or overtaking in a 110 zone which will exceed the driveshaft rpm that ford had limited. 180 will be more like 205 on the old diff