Swapping BCM with PCM

3Katz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 1m 23d

Hi all,

I have an 04 RTV auto ute and an 04 XR6 turbo auto sedan. I'm putting the engine, transmission and dash including ICC and steering column from the turbo sedan into the ute. 

As I'll have the turbo PCM, ICC and steering column including key barrel should the car start and run or will the BCM shut the show down?

Should I also swap the BCM from the sedan into the ute? 

Theoretically it should then start and run? Any issues with having the sedan BCM in a ute?

Engine is out and on the floor, FG cams, Atomic springs, 440cc injectors and Hypergear ATR45 turbo hoping for 300kw will post pics once done.

Edited by 3Katz
Forgot automatic transmission

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

match up the PCM (the ECU module in the engine bay) to the BEM (the small box at the top of the ICC in the cabin) or you'll nd to be stuffing about with towing the car to ford to get them programmed together.

good luck and have fun with the build :spoton:

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

Just use the ICC out of the sedan that way it will 'talk' to the ecu, & key & should run then it should be strait forward for someone with a scan tool to sort out the air bag & trac control lights. The ICC has the key reader on the top & the bcm on the bottom With the scanner it will read the sedans VIN but that's of no concern Use the sedan cluster

• Donating Members

Ah ok the ICC has the BCM in it? Should just all come out in 1 unit, sounds good thank you.

I'll be using the complete dash assembly  from the sedan as the current ute dash is faded and I need to repair the heater not working which is looking like a dash out job.... Might as well put a nice dash back in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

This morning I pulled the dash, repaired heater shaft, put the dash, steering column and ICC from the sedan into the ute. I've triple checked the connections but I have a problem - the ign won't come on.

The doors unlock and lock with the remote, lights work but nothing on the dash and the display on the ICC is blank, can't hear HIM whirr. I don't know what the symptoms are when the PCM and BCM 'forget'. I had the battery disconnected for 3 days while doing engine change and dash change.

I was pretty sure this was all going to work but these things happen...

Anything else I can check before assuming I need to get them linked together at Ford or a tuner?

• Donating Members

I just spoke to service dept at Ford and he said if it just needs relinking your dash lights should still come up,  it just wouldn't crank. Is this right?

I had an AU years ago that I left  the battery out of for a month and it needed relinking but as I remember it the dash lights didn't come up at that time. I can't be sure now though...

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

Double check your plugs under the coloum, make sure a wire hasn't backed out of the ignition harness ( the one with the really thick wires) if the icc wasn't plugged in the remote locking wouldn't work. check that all the plugs are plugged into the fuse box especially the one in the frount (I think it's brown with big yellow wires in it) 

• Like 1