Gentleman's Tune and Mod's

xr6666turbo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 10m 16d

Evening Gents.

I have been accumulating knowledge for a while on this fantastic forum and have decided to throw a thread up to gather some opinions and info. About 12 months ago I purchased a BF XR6 Turbo ute from the original owner. An old fart like me, he had never thrashed the car and it was absolutely stock. With 220,000 ks up, I was a little concerned but these fears we soon dissmissed. The car was a gem, immaculate inside and out. Between then and now, I have spent approx $4000 on a major service, replacing everything I could think of. Diff oil, ZF fluid and filter, brake pads + stainless lines, fuel filter, idler pulley, spark plugs, engine oil and filter, turbo housing and exhaust manifold bolt's tighten and replace ( 2 turbo bolts we're goooone ), crossover mounts replaced.

Apart from that the only mods I have done are a K&N filter and an F6 headlight snorkel. So, the reason for the thread. I have decided a tune is in the near future. Originally, I was only going to get a modest tune only with no mods, aiming for no more than 260rwkw, but after spending many , many hours reading this encyclopedia of speed, I have decided I want MORE :pandalol:

but not a lot more. Given my age, nearly 60, and the fact that this ute has never and will never do a burnout, and will never see a racetrack.....these are my parameters.

= 280 to 300rwkw

= boost 11-14 psi max

= F6 intercooler

= exhaust....Hi flow cat only

= injectors... was originally going to run 42lb bosch but....what do you think

= fuel pump ??

= X cal tune

Thanks in advance for any wisdom

Phil

PS car is in Brisbane

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

If I would suggest anything it would be to do it right the first time (tunes aren't cheap) and don't push parts further than their reasonable limit.

31 minutes ago, xr6666turbo said:

will never do a burnout

While we're on the topic, you owe it to yourself to see what kind of skid your car can do, at least once.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

You have pretty much described exactly where I am aiming with my car to get a nice, strong daily driver.

On what I've read, I wouldn't worry about the F6 cooler and would either forget it or go better. It is probably the one thing you could change later and not need a retune.

I'd remove the question marks next to the fuel pump - they barely cost $100 for a Walbro 255 and are good insurance.

Where are you located?

• Like 1

• Donating Members

I live in Brisbane. I bought the intercooler months ago for $100 before I really got into this forum. I doesn't worry me getting a bigger, better one but if I did, what would you suggest

Hi Puff, thanks for your input. Money won't be an issue but I don't want buy stuff if I don't need to. Intercoolers for example seem to be a common topic on here but realisticallly, this is a daily drive so will an F6 cooler handle normal driving habits with an occasional squirt here and there.

Ok so upgrade fuel pump, no worries

Edited by xr6666turbo

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Upgraded intercoolers are good because they have flow and heat dissipation abilities. A stock cooler is fine for the occasional squirt. It gets hot pretty quickly though so it wont be great. It will be fine for 300rwkw. Bigger is better to some degree in this power and boost range, for flow reasons, but isn't necessary for a quick run or two as far as heat goes. Your new f6 cooler will be fine for your application.

I'd recommend the 255 as well. It might be cheaper than a stock pump?!

Edited by Puffwagon
Added the first word.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

G'day men

Just a bit of an update. Had a session with Clint from Profile Autosports the other day. I said mate, wnen we pull the string, I want to land between 300 and 350rwkw, This is what he recommened.

Intercooler: Plasmaman Stage 2. He thought that for a BF, this gives you more bang for buck.

Fuel pump and injectors: I said I wanted 1000cc injectors, the rest was up to him. So a Walbro 416 and a hi flow regulator are in.

Exhaust: I said Hi flow cat only but I'm open to hi flow exhaust if it's not noisy. He said check out Innovation Exhausts at Capalaba. They do a beautiful 3.5" exhaust with custom mufflers that are not over the top noisy.

Xcal 4 tune

New valve Springs: Ute is a BF Mk2. Never the less he recommended I should think about new springs as ute has done 250,000 klicks. I said yes.

Wastegate, Flapper and Actuator will also get a massage.

What do you blokes reckon

Cheers Phil

Edited by xr6666turbo

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
8 minutes ago, xr6666turbo said:

What do you blokes reckon

That's about all you need to get that power level.

Think about chucking in some new coils before the tune. They're only a few hundred bucks and will make sure it doesn't start missing when it gets turned up. You don't wanna waste your time taking it to the shop and then have to go home and swap them cos it can't light it up or starts chucking it out of gear.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Thanks puff. New coils locked in.

One question. The CAI is under the battery. Is the still acceptable in 2018 or do I need to relocate battery. Would prefer the former.

Thanks Phil

Edited by xr6666turbo