Groan in steering colum

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 5d

When I park car or turn sharply fron stand still theres a load groan type sound...kinda metal on rubber slipping type sound that feels like its comming from steering coloum near firewall.....is there a bearing the that possibly worn or a rubber gromet?it seems to do it for like half to 3/4turn...of steering wheel

Cars a ba xr6t sedan

Its not always there only does it a handfull of times but when it does make boise it sound really bad.

It reminds me of my old vn Late model camira I had when the steering shaft failed and was slipping on shaft however this is not the case with this...

• Member For: 6y 21d

It is very common in falcon for fluid on the return line of the power steering to bubble and aerate. There is a very easy fix for this. You can buy an inline filter that you just cut the hose and put in that stops aeration.

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Hmm, found these http://magnafilter.com.au/magnefine.html nothing about aeration though. I think I might be putting one of these on the ZF as well (good reviews online). Ryco has something similar for power steering only, apparently they are standard on BA V8?  Still have to confirm what they are actually for from Ryco - https://www.autobarn.com.au/ryco-power-steering-filter-sp91604-z504

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Did some searching and can't find anything that suggests a filter will help aeration. Maybe it will, but there's not a lot of info out there.

I changed my leaking high pressure line a couple of years back (with a cheapie at short notice) and it has started to weep again. That has coincided with power steering groan returning, so I'm suspicious it is sucking air in through the leak. Have you checked yours over for any leaks?

I've purchased the hose that Ultimate Power Steering do - has a different fitting to the factory one so that you can swap out the o-ring in future without replacing the whole hose.

That Autobahn page is funny - title says power steering filter, description says oil filter and photo says fuel filter!

• Like 1