Cheap ebay turbos

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 5d

Hi. Been thinking lately about the life of the turbo on a ba xr6t. Mine was replaced at around 130 000ks bue to screen clogging. Was replaced with a garrot. Anuway...has 310 000ks bow....whats the life of the turbos? It does have some small amounts of play howevr been like that for last few year so must be normal amount. Lately I have noticed the sppoling of turbo to be lottle louder but could be me

Just for future referance have any one used the ebay turbos? Like this:

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/152430297394

I have read of some making good power and some just useing them as a normal replacement.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

It's more likely you've got an opening in your air intake system that'll explain the louder turbo noises, if it is actually louder haha

the turbo's last essentially the life of the car as long as you change the oil often enough, without the screen in place (I assume it was removed when your previous turbo failed).

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Older turbos don't last long when they get turned up.

Your turbo will be fine until it starts making a whizzing/grinding noise, that starts out as a quiet tapping noise that you can hardly hear. You'll know it's failing as you will hear the noise when you shut the car off. A few days to a couple of weeks later you'll hear it when you're driving it and then it's time for a replacement/rebuild.

If I were going for a generic replacement I wouldn't go for a gt35 sized turbo, I'd go bigger. The generic gt35 will make power but by the time you buy it, get it stripped, possibly upgrade the bearing assembly and checked for balance etc you could just buy a genuine chra for nearly the same price.

People have had great results with cheap big turbos, but there is some truth in getting what you pay for and buying a quality part once rather than buying a cheaper part 5 times.