Can’t identify noise

joffa1

• Member For: 6y 9m 7d

Hi guys my Ute (FG MKII XR6 Turbo) has developed a really concerning noise. Haven’t been able to work out exactly where it’s coming from but suspect around turbo or downpipe or cat area. Made this short video to see if anyone can help? It gets really loud under throttle and quite loud at cold idle but gets quieter as car warms up. 

I did bottom out the car car a little while ago on an unknown road but not sure if that’s got anything to do with it as no visible damage under there. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Actually... how do I upload this video? 

Sweet did it through Vimeo. Looks to have worked. Let me know what you think. 

Just took for a spin and once it’s warmed up the sound is all dependent on throttle use I.e. quiet during gear changes (manual car) then is really loud when you get back on the gas...

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

That sounds like all 6 of them (the cylinder noise). I'd put my money on the manifold to turbo gasket leaking.

Check that the fasteners are all tight. If they are and it still makes noise then the gasket may have blown out.

Mine did the same thing and many others have as well.

Ok thanks for the reply. Have seen a few other videos with very similar noise so looks like you’ve hit the nail on the head. 

I thought I had tightened all these fasteners but possibly I’m not doing the right ones... I don’t suppose anyone has photos or diagram of exactly where these are located?

if the gasket has blown out is replacement in the realms of a hack mechanic like myself? Happy to have a go at anything and have a few tools...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

check all of the bolts underneath the heat-shield.

head to exhaust manifold

turbo to exhaust manifold

turbo to dump pipe.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d
14 minutes ago, joffa1 said:

I thought I had tightened all these fasteners but possibly I’m not doing the right ones... I don’t suppose anyone has photos or diagram of exactly where these are located?

You might have mate. They come loose pretty easy if they aren't done up tight af. I'll take a photo in a minute and post it up.

14 minutes ago, joffa1 said:

if the gasket has blown out is replacement in the realms of a hack mechanic like myself?

You'll be right. It's a bit difficult the first time you do it but it's not impossible.

8 minutes ago, k31th said:

there isn't even a gasket there from the factory.

How helpful :stirthepot: Whether or not there is a gasket there is kinda irrelevant wouldn't you agree?

Edited by Puffwagon
Just cos ;)