Power issue on & after boost

Dean01

• Member For: 6y 3m 1d

I know this issue has been raised many times before and I'v searched and learnt a bit but my problem is a bit different.

The 2003 XR6t has got the 460 pump, 65 lbs injectors, dump, exhaust, intercooler, etc etc AND plazmaman valve springs just installed.

I had a flash tune done and the car makes just shy of 400 rwhp with 15psi boost (controlled by a GFB electronic controller and solenoid, which may be the issue??)

I give it a boot full in 1st and hits hard then change to 2nd and at around 3500rpm the car starts to go into some sort of limp mode and doesnt want to produce power.

When I pulled over the engine was rough as and like people have said in other posts that all cylinders are not firing. Turn car off and restart straight away and car idles and runs fine till I boost it again.

This is similar to other threads but I have the valve springs done and new plugs gapped to 0.8 so I'm still not sure on what the issue could be and any help or ideas would be appreciated.

The car runs fine on 6psi boost and doesn't break down as described above.

I thought that it may have been the cheep blow off valve that I have on it was opening under high boost causing car to run rich but not sure on my theory?

Thanks

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

also ensure your coils are working correctly.

and that the tune is 100% supporting the boost controller, because if it doesn't, it could easily just go straight into limp mode due to undesirable boost conditions etc.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

I was going to say all of that stuff and more @k31th but realistically unless it left the shop in sh*tty condition it will only be the usual suspects, ie: plugs and coils etc, causing it.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

indeed. I'm assuming the shop is incompetent with these cars because they're using an aftermarket boost controller when the standard one is much more suited to the purpose.

• Like 1

• Member For: 6y 3m 1d

Thanks gents.

The shop had actually told me that the aftermarket boost controller was not as good and is going to resort back to the standard one. (this was missed when tuning)

The shop has really impressed me with their support into the problem and they think that it is an overboost setting that was also missed when originally tuned.

Ill let you know how it goes after the re tune and dyno run today.

Thanks once again for you help you were spot on with your diagnostics

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

Haha I should have posted my original post for internet fame and glory :pandalol:

Jk though, whatever it is it should be a quick fix and you'll be back up and running properly in no time.