Advice for a dreamer

Chels69

• Member For: 6y 11m 10d

Hi guys. I've been wanting a G6ET for a while now but still more dreaming than reality. Is it safe to buy a 100, 000k turbo car with enough mods to produce 300rwkw? I am scared of buying something that is gonna spend more time in a workshop than in my garage. Is there anything in particular to stay away from? 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 23d

There a lot of people on here with cars with 300+RWKW and 100,000Km and more. as long as they are maintained and tuned by a reputable tuner they will be fine, especially with an FG.

I have a G6ET with a set of ID1000's, KPM intake, 4" dump and HF Cat, and Nizpro Big Big IC Kit (Injectors and dump yet to be installed). With a tune it should be good for 300+RWKW on 98, and I have approx 150k on the clock. One thing I would recommend is to get a standalone trans cooler to avoid the ZF Milkshake, especially with the higher Ks and raising the power up. I also would suggest to do a full trans flush and new fluids at the same time just to be safe.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

As mentioned above it's easily achievable to have a reliable 300rwkw if quality parts have been used and a tuner with exhaustive experience on the Barra has tuned it.

You could buy a stock standard car that is in decent condition and has good service history, and get the mods done yourself; but obviously it's cheaper to buy a car with the mods already done if they're done right. You need to know exactly what's been done and by whom.

Here's a good thread to read:

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/91528-modding-your-fg-xr6g6e-turbo-take-2/

And this one: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/83049-should-I-buy-this-xr6t-merged-topic/

• Like 1

• Donating Members

To be honest I think the extra money you would pay buying stock and upgrading yourself is well worth it.

because if its been modified odds are its been flogged, and also if you mod yourself you know exactly what parts have gone in it and who has tuned it.

Plus I see heaps of people selling there modified G6ET's  for higher than the stock value, which I personally would stay away from.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

that logic just doesn't even make sense... it's an XR6T. It's a performance car that's almost guaranteed to be driven hard. Who cares? they're made to do that.

If it's running smoothly, has no obvious problems and is mechanically sound, just buy a mildly modded one. Overly modded ones have other potential issues attached.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Adam came up the other day for a quick cuppa and we decided the same thing.

Everyone drives their car the same and most of them rarely see wot for more than a few seconds at a time.

I'd suggest buying a car that is already done so you never have to mod it. That way you aren't wasting money, the person before you did. 

• Donating Members

I guess maybe im different, put it this way I would never sell my car to a family member ;)  each to their own I guess, she asked for advice I gave mine. 

and also a G6ET I think often have different owners to XR6T's 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I used to think that way too but not any more.

Stock cars can be thrashed and there are plenty of g6zzz and xr's that run 10s on a stock trans with bolt ons that get put back to stock and sold as a grandmas car.

After you've put 20k into a couple of stock cars, you'll think differently when you set out to buy your third one.

Like ya said though, each to his own ^_^

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

Unfortunately the life of these particular cars means they are often maintenance hungry beasts.  I know a guy with a stock FG XR6 which has required a lot of suspension work, has nothing to do with the engine, it just didn't agree with some of the roads he was driving on.

There's barely a time I do a simple oil change were I don't have to fix or swap out something else either.  Broken, warn, leaking, dirty, loose, it's just an older vehicle that has k's on it.  Yeah it sucks a bit sometimes but at the same time I do it because I want to keep it driving as best I can for as long as I can.  I'd say most people here would give a similar answer - yes there are easier cars out there to live with, but that's not the point.

Biggest things I would check would be the suspension for any excessive wear and try to figure out if the car ever had a generic tune put on it.  I'm really not a fan of the generic cheap kits & flash units out there, always best to get a reputable tuner to tune the car with the mods you pick.