Standard or After market..?

Dazz302

• Member For: 6y 3m 4d

Morning people. After having my flawless AU2 XR8 TickFORD Bent in the back by a texting tosser,I thought is was time for a change and bought an imaculate BF XR6. Apart from having every genuine factory upgrade ford had. This car has had been fitted with $9000 of Uncle Rob Herrods goodnesss. Inc full exhaust and underdrive pulley, and a couple of other bits and pieces. She has the F6 Typoon box and snorkel to breath a bit better, and GT breaks all round to stop like a champion. It squats nice on King springs, and by the end of next week will have had every bush and mount underneath replaced with shiny new red ones.With low KM and tons of extras I couldn’t go past it. But there’s no turbo... it’s making 190 at the rears and the 6 speed LSD and heavy duty clutch I wouldn’t say it’s slow. But its not fast. Or even quick. Can I Turbo this machine or am I wasting my time.  Can I just change the manifold and ECU and purchase a stock unit or is aftermarket gear a better way to go...?I’ve always had V8’s and don’t know much about the Turbo scene at all. Just that these cars seem to be very bloody good at embarrassing V8 owners. Hence why my Tickford owes me around $35,000.. but that’s a topic for another day. Any advice on how to go about this,if it can be done would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long winded thread. I thought it might be useful info to start the ball rolling. Cheers peoples. Oo===oO

Edited by Dazz302
Had more to add

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 2d

"You can turbo it" though I wouldnt.

You are better off looking for a 07 or newer turbo engine with the manifold and turbo attached to it.

Definitely needs to be a 07 or newer though.

Upload some pics of the new car? Sound like a nice ride mate.

Welcome to the forum to 

• Thanks 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Have a read of these two threads to get an idea of what you're up against, in terms of turbo'ing an N/A car.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/42881-my-ba-na-to-turbo-project/

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/60325-another-na-to-turbo-conversion/

• Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d
8 hours ago, Dazz302 said:

Can I Turbo this machine or am I wasting my time.

You could turbo a rotary hoe if you wanted to but for your car it depends what you had planned to do and spend before you bought it. It's not so much a waste of time as a possible waste of money.

If you were to buy a turbo car and upgrade the turbo, manifolds, exhaust, intercooler and piping, rebuild the engine and upgrade the fuel system etc etc then you are in for roughly the same amount of work and money getting this car sorted. This ain't cheap but plenty of people do it to their turbo cars and some to their na cars. You might be better off buying an already modified car for that sort of cost.

If you can do the all of the work yourself and scour the forum for info (it is all here), you could pull off a turbo conversion for as little as $5k with a used turbo motor and a mix of used and new supporting parts. You'd have to be on the lookout for parts/engine daily to get the good deals.

You could turbo your engine with some used stock bits but for various reasons it wouldn't be very reliable or particularly powerful.

9 hours ago, Dazz302 said:

by the end of next week will have had every bush and mount underneath replaced with shiny new red ones.

It'll cost over $2k to pay a shop to get that done if you include diff bushes in that. It'll pay to have a long objective think about where this car will end before you spend any money on it.

Read the forum up and down for a few weeks before you decide on anything. It wont cost you anything to just enjoy your new car for a while.

There we go, a long winded reply for a long winded question :)

• Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Haha you can call me crazy then cos I bought a diff bush tool and pulled my cradle out to replace my diff bushes.

It still worked out cheaper than paying a shop to do it.

Anyway when you work out what you wanna do let us know. Plenty of guys and girls here have modified their cars and will be happy to help out. 

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 3d

spend countless dollars turbo ing it, or trade up (?) quickly and easily to a b series turbo. if an fpv all the better. 

dont waste your effort trying to get your N/A fast. too many have done it and regretted it.