Replacing a broken turbocharger

BillyPuffy

• Member For: 6y 2m 18d

Hi guys,

New at this. Don't know if I'm posting correctly, in the right place etc.

I have a BF turbo manual, 220000k, injectors, Mal Wood Clutch, remap, 382 rwkw.   Standard turbocharger which has collapsed.

I need to fit a new one but want it to just bolt straight on, run like it used to, with no need for fiddling around with remapping etc.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Should have added - there are so many choices from brand new garret 3582 to cheap Chinese. Is a rebuilt worthwhile? what brands? Thanks

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 11m 10d

Speak with your tuner,

Even witn a direct replacement garret gt3582 id think a freshen up of the tune would be wise. 

U mite be able to re-build the turbo, MTQ in Sdydney do this very well.

Not sure where u are?

Edited by BAXRTUTE

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Yep the guys at MTQ will be able to help you out with a genuine Garrett “rebuild” option which is actually a brand new core and a freshen up on both housings and obviously labour to do it all on a drop off pick up basis ( or use a donor unit for a changeover style ) and the current price for this as of yesterday on a GT3582 is $1650 inc GST 

buzz me a PM and I can help any members out on some better pricing with these options :) 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

This advice is taking into account no tuning required. If a tune was available that would open up other pathways.

It depends how stuffed it is and if you can do some or all of the work yourself.

If you catch it early and the wheels are untouched, you can just replace the bearing which will be around the $700 mark for parts and labour. You'd need to give them your turbo which would mean you are r&ring it yourself. If you know what you're doing, have a press and dgaf about checking the balance then you could replace the bearing and seals etc yourself for about $450.

If it has touched the housings and damaged either wheel then you'll be needing a new chra which is around the $1200 mark and once again you'd be replacing it yourself. You may need to clean up the housings as well.

The last option I'm going to suggest is going second hand. I wouldn't do it myself as I'd rather spend double and have a "new" one but it ticks your boxes and is fairly cheap.

That is most of the diy options. After that I'd be suggesting the same as the guy above me. 

Call a bunch of turbo shops and see what they can do for you!