Tail shaft

Bizkets is Drunk?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

2kgs is 2kgs but 2kg spinning is worth 3 times that. 

Moments of interia aside 6kg of reduction in rotating wieght is Huge. 

Imagine taking 2kgs off a crank or flywheel you'd definitely notice that. 

Edited by Ralph Wiggum

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

True but diameter and weight at diameter is a major issue with inertia

The new shaft is a significant larger diameter.

The actual carbon shaft itself would weight SFA.

Looks the business.   Very nice

Edited by arronm

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 7m 23d
Happy to answer any question.
So did you have to give them all the measurements for the shaft to be built or did they have one that size?
Just had a look at the website and its all mustang gear.

• Member For: 19y 6m 5d

I told Kon I had a BFII XR6 turbo ZF auto.

He said $2250 delivered and I'll have your shaft in your hands in 3 weeks. (note US dollar can vary)

3 weeks later it arrived and I bolted it in.

I also asked him if he needed any more info from me and he said he had done these for every configuration for the Falcon, from BA onwards, sedan and ute, manual and autos, T6 and V8s. I trusted his advice and did a hole heap of research on the Drive Shaft Shop (DSS) and decided it was a no brainer.

Pretty impressive US based company to be able to build this thing 17000kms away and get it right!

They have never had a customer break a carbon fibre shaft, and they've been building carbon shafts since 2011, and have been building custom drive shafts for almost 40 years!

If I had a guess I'd say a Hardy 2 piece would weigh almost twice as much as this carbon shaft.

Kon did say a couple years ago a Expensive Daewoo Late model camira version he had done was doing a lot of dyno work and the glue had started to peel away from the shaft. It was a V8 and apparently the exhaust was running close to the shaft and it got pretty hot. From my research I understand that the DSS has now perfected the gluing process, but I still heat wrapped mine just to be safe.

Things can always go wrong when playing with cars, but I don't see why you'd bother with any other shaft for our Falcons.

I plan to drag race it in Jan so I'll get a chance to compare the MPH compared to my stock shaft.

Edited by Typhoon
a Expensive Daewoo Late model camira version this keeps happening lol
  • Like 3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 7d

I have had a driveshaft shop tailshaft in my car for about 2 years, along with the ims diff hat and a wavetrac diff.

The first tailshaft had runoff and vibrated really bad, was noisy too. They replaced it pretty quickly and has been sweet since.

You can measure the performance on the dyno with less rotating mass. No power increase obviously, but the run becomes quicker

• 3 weeks later...
  • To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

If your vehicle has been modded to have more power than standard, it is suggested to get an upgraded tailshaft.

However this all depends on how much power your ute is making.

I saw it this way, with 500 ponies at the wheels, the last thing I wanted happening was the shaft twisting and snapping and then taking out the fuel and brake lines out.

It would cost more to get the fuel and brake lines repaired had the shaft snapped.

I felt that this was more like preventative maintenance on my behalf so I can sleep well at night. ;)

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

Well the question should be asked, how much power do you intend on making?

At first my car had 310kw and used the stock standard tail shaft. Once I hit 379kw, the tail shaft was still okay(but for how long).

I just felt that it was time to change the tail shaft.

I am not sure if there is a recommended power rating for the OEM shaft, that should be used as a guide.

I am sure that someone with a bit more knowledge may tune in.