Tail shaft

Bizkets is Drunk?

• Member For: 8y 11m 22d
On 12/13/2017 at 7:30 PM, Bizkets is Drunk? said:

Where's the recommended place to get ya tail shaft beefed up. Want to do a few drag runs soon and dont want 3" vent hole in the floor or petrol tank. Also whats the rough cost im looking at. In SA so even if ya have a built one for seconds ill have a look. Cheers

As Jet said definitely Hardy Spicer's.

They cut and shut and installed and new yoke on my 351 ci XY ute years ago, top quality work and fast turn around.

Reasonable price for the work performed as well.

That was many moons ago and from the sounds of it there still doing top quality work. They do alot of work for Hitachi construction machinery which my mate works for and he rates them highly as well.

• Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Mazda, 

What you had done is FDE's base spec. Phil generally quotes them good for 800hp.

He will also do similar specs to what jet is talking about and the price goes up accordingly. 

Many moons ago /thurple ute auto to manual conversion time) I had my driveshaft shortened by VEEM here in Perth. They are known locally as Very Expensive Engineering Mistakes. 

Drove the car home on the high at 110kmh and parked it. Moved it the next day to wash it and found a centre cv bolt sitting in the carport. 

Jacked it up and found the remaining 5 all loose. 

#q&apeopleq&a

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

Phil has got a good rep in Perth. As Ralph said, he will build to what you require. Just tell him the power and how you drive.

• Like 1

• Member For: 19y 6m 5d

On Tuesday my carbon fiber tail shaft will arrive from the states.

Direct bolt in and rated to 1500hp

I’ll post up some pics of this one piece unit when it arrives. Cost me $2250 delivered and should weigh half as much as any 2 piece Hardy can build.

• Like 3

• Member For: 8y 11m 22d

There ya go buddy, two options ya have now. Regency park Hardy Spicer for $2000 built with the options to return it if any problems should arise. Or carbon fibre which weighs alot less for a couple hundred more. Decisions Decisions.

Definitely worth seeing how Typhoon gets on with his, if its all good, might be a good option.

I'd be sticking with local. Atleast if ya get it home and ya go "hang on a second"

you can run it back to them. Stranger things have happened in the world car tinkering......

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d
On 12/15/2017 at 2:34 PM, JETURBO said:

That’s the problem @masda74 apples aren’t always apples when comparing products and prices 

sounds like you just got a re tube/sleeve which is common 

As far as I am aware, they cut the old tube out at the ends and put new ones in, along with a new center bearing.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:39 AM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Mazda, 

What you had done is FDE's base spec. Phil generally quotes them good for 800hp.

I had called Phil up before hand and advised how much power my car was making and he said all good. the upgrade will handle it well.

I didn't ask what they were rated at, I was just worried that the factory driveshaft would let go and rip through my fuel line and brake lines.

Yes that would be a good opportunity to redo the fuel system, but not at this time of the year.

I had to opportunity to get it done now and I took it up. I can sleep at night now without having nightmares.

I am glad that I did not go with VEEM. I went with Final Drive as that is what everyone recommended in the past.

@Typhoon good luck with the new tailshaft. Hope it fits.

• Member For: 19y 6m 5d

Bolts in without any problems at all. No clearance issues, no vibrations, no problems.

Car is very smooth to drive and surprisingly faster. Very noticeable increase in acceleration, especially in the top end.

It came in at 2kg lighter then the OEM setup, so it must be many kg lighter then a Hardy two piece.

2Kg lighter is not doing this shaft justice, its the balance and the smoothness that you just can't explain. The car is significantly faster!

When the tyres hook up after wheel spin you feel this sling shot effect, almost like a spring has been released in the drive line.

From all the modification I have done to my car up to now this is by far the most impressive.

Happy to answer any question.

• Like 2