Fuel Delivery Problems?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 29d

Hey all

Trying to troubleshoot some fuel problems I believe I am having at the moment. Fuel problems are the bane of my existence with my car. The last time I had problems I was told that fuel contamination killed my intank pump and a new pump was needed. I also had to DW300s die in a surge and were replaced with twin Walbros.

I pulled the intank module out yesterday thinking a split hose was the problem.

What I found was a rag logged into the bottom of the intank assy. WTF.How that was in the tank for almost 2yrs blows my mind.

Checked the Hoses and they were all in good nick but the filter sock was rancid so cleaned the hell out that.

This is a stupid question given the code stamped on the side of the pump but is this a Walbro 294 Pump? similar specs?

SOyDHiY.jpg

• Donating Members

So if you were charged for a Walbro 294 and told a Walbro 294 was fitted then this would be wrong? let alone having a rag left in the fuel tank. Is the GSS340 the stock pump that comes with FG xr6turbo's?

Before pulling the pump out the car lacked power and would develop a real bad miss and would be undriveable and it had 0 acceleration. Since cleaning the pump sock it seems better and doesnt miss. Should there be something else I should check out?

When using the pump to drain the tank the fuel flow looked good.

I still have a problem where when I get on boost and come off the accelerator hard there is a high pitch whistle coming from the engine bay near the surge/ regulator setup. I can get a video if it helps.

Edited by MurdoK

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

Yes, that's the wrong pump, if that's the case.

No, the stock pump for any Falcon is not a Walbro. The Walbro options are all aftermarket replacement only.

The only other thing to check is the main fuel filter.

High pitched whistle, eh... Definitely going to need video :)

• Donating Members

Thanks keith

So it seems I was ripped off on the pump.

I will have a look at the fuel filter next chance I get.probably has a sock stuck in it.

Will also look at pulling apart the Turbosmart reg and seeing what that looks like

• Donating Members

I might take you up on that. 

Was told today I need a new engine so I might get a 2nd opinion from the guru

:feelsbadman:

• Donating Members

Love dodgy stuff. I pulled the pump out thinking it was a split hose but they were fine.

Im ordering a new pump assy as the sock was in bad shape and the assy as a whole wasnt moving freely enough for my liking.plus I dont trust the pump since its been sucking through a rag for however long.

Got some good advice from the ford whisperer and also did a compression test as was told the engine is cooked. Comp test came in at 170 165 170 170 170 165 which is good and a huge relief.

Edited by MurdoK

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

who told you the engine was cooked? wasn't the whisperer, was it?

so what was the actual fuel issue? not fixed yet?