FGX XR6T issues

qwertay

• Member For: 7y 8d

Hi All,

I recently bought a stock '15 XR6 Turbo with the auto ZF and it has about 85k KMs on it (NOT an ex HWP) which has been pretty awesome overall however im starting to have some issues with it and was wanting some help trying to figure out whats going on. I came from a 2010 G6 (NA) so I knew what to expect with some things (diff bushes for example).

Of course the issues started happening right after it went out of the 3 month warranty given by the dealer I bought it from but luckily, its still under Ford new car warranty until March. 

Ive tried to google the issues but im no mechanic and have no idea what I should be googling, but here we go. 

So, first off. As part of the sale, the dealer got Ford to replace the diff bushes as they were flogged, not un-expected however, I have a REALLY bad knock coming from the rear of the car now. It happens most when im coming to a stop at lights for example and the tranny goes from 2nd to 1st. Big old clunk from the back. Also happens when I engage reverse and if im driving normally in a straight line if I start tapping the accelerator over and over again, it happens as well. I jacked the car up this weekend and had a peak underneath to see if there was anything that was broken or loose but everything seemed fairly solid so im at a loss as the bushes are brand new. Im probably going to take the car to Ford and get them to deal with it, but the car has aftermarket 20s on it (previous owner) so I dont know if Ford is going say "Its the larger wheels that have caused it, to bad so sad". Would like to know everyone's opinion on that one .

Next issue I have is the turbo noise, now ive never driven another one of these cars stock so I have no idea if this noise is normal but the car between 2 and 3K RPM sounds like it has a supercharger whine and it seems to come on and off whit acceleration and the speed of the turbo. Could be normal buts ive never had it in another turbo car. 

Next on the list is the blinkers. In my FG G6, if you tapped the blinker one way or the other (without fully clicking it) it would blink 3 times. My new car doesn't seem to do it, well I say doesn't seem to do it because its done it for one day which was yesterday after I jacked the car up which I thought was extremely weird but today it was back to no more 3 blinks. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Almost there, second last issue im having is a small knock coming from the front end. Seems to be coming from the front left which I initially thought was a ball joint but I checked them yesterday and its all good. Nothing else seemed to be loose that I could see. If I wiggle the steering whilst the car is off, there is quiet alot of noise mainly from the front left that seems to happen. Could be something loose but im not totally sure. Ill try to get a vid of it tomorrow for yall.

Last thing is the tranny its self. In my old FG G6 which had the ZF as well, it was always very smooth and I never had any issues with it being in the wrong gear or between gears and was always very responsive when I floored it. The new one is fairly good overall and seems to change gears much faster and more aggressively under moderate or high acceleration compared to my G6 but I keep having this issue where when im coming to a stop but I dont make a complete stop, if I jump on the gas again even very slightly (like pulling out at a roundabout for example) it seems to be have no power and has a think before the entire car will lurch fairly violently into 1st gear to get me moving. The other thing it does is when the car is cold (IE, been sitting overnight) when I go from park to reverse, the tranny cluncks pretty violently as if it was spring loaded to do so, scared the hell out of me the first time it did it. My last car did it as well but not to the degree that this one does. 

Here is a vid of the whining noise as well as you can hear the clunks a little bit but not very well. ill try to get a better vid tomorrow. 

Main thing I want to know out of this entire thread is if ford is going to void my warranty because there are 20s on it instead of the factory 19s that came with the car. I really dont want to have to go and get the correct rims just to get ford to fix this stuff. Keen on everyone's thoughts. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d
1 hour ago, qwertay said:

...It happens most when im coming to a stop at lights for example and the tranny goes from 2nd to 1st. Big old clunk from the back. Also happens when I engage reverse and if im driving normally in a straight line if I start tapping the accelerator over and over again, it happens as well...

...I dont make a complete stop, if I jump on the gas again even very slightly (like pulling out at a roundabout for example) it seems to be have no power and has a think before the entire car will lurch fairly violently into 1st gear to get me moving...

This is normal, the 2nd to 1st ZF clunk. It can be tuned out/smoothed.

If it's doing it on acceleration on and off, then it's likely the bushes fitted are harder than factory and you've just increased the NVH, but have a look at the tailshaft center bearing, as it can be causing these symptoms.

...turbo noise...

Couldn't hear anything in the vid, but it didn't look like you even hit boost in the vid, and the description you've given isn't helpful to diagnose an issue, if there is one.

...3 clicks...

This is a feature in all FG's. I'd say something has gone wrong with the positional sensor on the indicator stalk. Get Ford to look at it while you're there.

...small knock coming from the front end...

Check upper and lower control arm bushes. Failing that it'll be the tie rod ends. Simple enough to diagnose/check.

Ford won't (shouldn't) care if you have aftermarket rims.

Good luck.

• Member For: 12y 3m
3 hours ago, qwertay said:

Hi All...

the turbo noise I can confirm is the turbo it self, me having this issue also but my turbo whine as you are saying was REALLY REALLY loud as you can see in my thread I created a week ago, that's what I found, I did replace my core witha  2nd hand one and it fixed the issue now I can hear alot of induction noise as before I did not and all it did was whine so loudly :D, my car has alot of KM on it so its pretty understandable, not sure if the turbo bearings wear out quickly or what but the noise you have, ive heard on alot of xr6 turbos cars especially with high KMS

Edited by jiri styles

• Member For: 17y 1m 6d

To stop the crunch when going from park to reverse is simple. When ever you are about to put the car in park and you are stopped simply apply the brakes shift to neutral pull the hand brake and foot off brake. ensure the vehicle load is taken up by the handbrake. This method ensures I never get the crunch / clunk.

To stop the crunch when going from park to reverse is simple. When ever you are about to put the car in park and you are stopped:

1. simply apply the brakes

2. shift to neutral

3. pull the hand brake

4. foot off brake to ensure the vehicle load is taken up by the handbrake.

5. Then lastly shift to park.

This method ensures I never get the crunch / clunk.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 28d

Next on the list is the blinkers. In my FG G6, if you tapped the blinker one way or the other (without fully clicking it) it would blink 3 times. My new car doesn't seem to do it, well I say doesn't seem to do it because its done it for one day which was yesterday after I jacked the car up which I thought was extremely weird but today it was back to no more 3 blinks. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

In your instrument cluster menu, in vehicle there is an option called "lane change assist"

This is the option to turn the 3 blink indicator feature on or off
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 4d

For interest sake before anyone with a FGX (I have an fgx xr6 turbo ute) runs out of warranty check that your auto lights and windscreen washers still work eg. use a hose. 

Mine failed the auto wipers, they work sometimes not others, booked it in to Ford dealers and windscreen was replaced under warranty no cost. 

Edited by 06Turbo
Spelling error