CJF077

Site Downtime - This Week

Hi Guys

Just wanted to apologise re the downtime this week from Sunday. We were unfortunately put in a situation where our domain name had expired whilst on auto renew and the registrar held the domain name for ransom, demanding an exorbitant fee to release it, which unfortunately the site did not have.

After phone calls every day, as well as numerous support tickets, they decided to release it on the condition that we renewed the domain manually for two years in advance. This was done and the site is live.

Thanks for understanding.

All good - sounded like a stuff up on their end that could have almost released the domain name to the public for anyone else to take over.

Scary stuff.

Well done on sticking to your guns and getting them to fix it properly

Yep; they could have been absolute mofo's and let it go to somebody else. Then we would have been up the creek without a paddle.

Was keeping an eye on it - would have snapped it up and transferred back to Chris if it came to that to keep it safe.

Thanks guys.

The redemption period they say is from 30 - 90 days, so we would have been fine.. I just didn't want to give into their demands when it wasn't our fault at all. 

Ah that's ok - From what I read the redemption was 5 days lol. (I read the wrong bit)

"This status code indicates that your registrar has asked the registry to delete your domain. Your domain will be held in this status for 30 days. After five calendar days following the end of the redemptionPeriod, your domain is purged from the registry database and becomes available for registration."

Yep lol - did a quick google - you're not alone.

Most seem to be down to "auto-renew" and seem to get it sorted after forcing the issue.

Making you renew for 2 years is there way of stopping you transferring out straight away I guess.

Shame for them - they may keep the one domain for a bit longer, but lose the other dozen asap lol