I broke the motor, now time to build a new one :)

There I Broke It

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

I'm not trying to be a downer man, I'm just trying to be realistic and I'd give this advice to anyone so don't think I'm singling you out :)

First up a 9 second falcon is stupid fast. An 11 second falcon is stupid fast to most people. See if someone will let you have a drive of their 11 second car. It ain't slow lol.

It is not in any way cheap to get a reliable 9 second falcon and for the sake of repairing your car I would suggest going the second hand short block route. It's overkill to do that just to repair your car when you are already mentioning that money is an issue.

A bit of research would have shown that buying a BA is a waste of money due to the various weak points when compared to a mk2bf. Further to that not every car being sold is a "problem" and you can find already done cars that will save you $20k plus. Read this forum up and down and have a plan before you make any decisions to buy parts etc. Our resident hamster has a beasty ba he'd probably sell you considering it's just turning to rust in his driveway :stirthepot:

I've owned a couple of super quick cars and spinning tyres at hwy speeds is pretty much what you end up with. It sounds cool when you read it on the internet or watch it on youtube but it's a different kettle of fish owning it. The cost of replacing tyres every few months and burning fuel like no tomorrow means that I at least end up driving sedately most of the time.

19 minutes ago, There I Broke It said:

As the car gets quicker, I will obviously have a daily driver and the ba as a weekend fun/race car.

Think long term mate, if you are going to do this then plan for that and don't waste money on a falcon that won't get used very often. They aren't a race car they are a family/taxi car. Track cars always come up and are usually much cheaper than a street registered car.

At the end of the day it's your car and your money and it's up to you what you decide to do with it. It doesn't affect me apart from typing some random crap on my pc to give you my 2 cents for whatever that's worth. Maybe I just like typing lol.

Also...just relocate your battery the normal way like everyone else does either under the bumper or by using a smaller battery under the soon to be purchased airbox ;)

P.s I'll be releasing the paperback version of this novel next week :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 7d

Maybe have a read through my thread,

95% of the things u will need to do are done in mine.

My fuel system is bigger again now,

Walbro 460 intank, Plazmaman rail, twin 5bar pierburg pumps with 2.5lt surge, 2000reg, new lines,

Rods are Manley with mahle pistons,

Crow stage 2 cams with crow valve springs and retainers.

Other then that the rest is in the thread I think. 

Im just shy of 700rwhp atm with room to move once I got bigger exhaust, injectors, and maybe turbo. 

In a Auto its a capable 9sec car.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 6m 2d

Hi BAXRTUTE

Liked the thread, damn you have had some issues with yours....

I didn't get all the way through it but if you held up your end of the agreement, I.e. equal spend on holidays-the missus and the car, you must have had some awesome holidays and shall we say other pleasures by now........

We will get the car back to emerald qld this sunday and then will take some photos of the damage for everyone elses amusement.... at this stage we are hoping its just the block and internals, but until we strip it down and access everything, I don't know if any damage was done to the turbo/head etc.

• Gold Donating Members

Hahahaha dont know about the pleasure part, woman are woman..... crunts lol

My head was farked when I shot my rod.

u are honestly best to by a fg na block mate, open it up throw some rods pistons valve spring maybe cams if u want and build around it to suit.

Fg has a much better plenum and manifold then B series.

Spool make a very good kit for $2500 plus fitting, I got my rods and pistons very cheap but id probably would of got the spool kit if not.

• Donating Members

Hi BAXR,

yep, from what I had been reading, I was going to go to an FG Block and build around a forged bottom end.

I have just been checking out racewars.com.au and Obviously I am not going to get there next year, but will design the build around going there in 2019 to give it some good shakedown runs with the 1/2 mile and 1000m runs. I mean its not THAT far from Central Queensland to Albany WA....... with a car trailer and support crew etc. I wonder how many people my mechanic can fit in his trusty old Subaru brumby :) 

• Donating Members

support crew = my mechanic, his offsider, me (I'm too old and fat for proper racing) the jockey is 65kg wringing wet, (dates the offsiders sister) my panel beater client, and a couple of other unpaid mates that want to see some real racing, not the bullsh*t crap on tv such as the V8SB (v8 superboring) same cars with different badging basically

Hey Puff, no worries, interest is 10% per week :) 

Don't miss a payment though or I will stuff up your credit history hahaha

I have talked to everyone involved today, and basically when we get the car back to emerald this weekend, its going for a full strip down. It does help having mates/clients that are prepared to work for cost price and no labor so that shaves a bloody heap on the set up. such as paint n panel for the cost of the paint and a bit for the booth, compare that to getting a professional job done including wages and profit. It helps being the biggest insurance broker in a small country town to get contacts happy to help for some stickers on the car etc......

Am I rich? hell no....

Do I have a mortgage, car loan, credit card, personal loan..... NOPE

Can I put away $500 a week between now and the end of next year? Yep.

Was I planning on going to Thailand next year, Not anymore...

So that's about $30k on parts and nothing for labor, and no mark up on prices.... I reckon that would equal about $50k real world. And that's probably conservative on the $20k for labor and mark up.....

• Like 3

• Donating Members

Hey BAXR,

I reckon that should build me something tough, reasonably reliable, and no I don't expect to win any trophies, but I reckon I should be able to win a lot of our races. I have a busted back nowadays, but do have a background in setting up street fords for drag racing. EB, EF, AU. The EB was an NA 6cyl, stripped out, air con ripped out, battery in the boot and not exactly slow :) Never liked the weight of the v8 hanging over the front suspension in the au xr8

• Gold Donating Members

If your paying stuff all in labour, and willing to throw 30ish k into modding u will have a beast mate, though tbh 30k ish will end up being 40k ish. Things just pop up that when u get above 500kw = 1k to fix at a minimum lol

1 hour ago, There I Broke It said:

support crew = my mechanic, his offsider, me (I'm too old and fat for proper racing) the jockey is 65kg wringing wet, (dates the offsiders sister) my panel beater client, and a couple of other unpaid mates...

Geez mate, it was just banter.... 

But since your opening up, marital status?  Kids? Siblings? Hight and weight? And where do u see yourself in 5yrs

:stirthepot: