ZF conversion into older car, is it possible?

sprouly07

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 8m 15d

Hey guys, so as the title says im just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to swap a zf auto into a car that is say 30 years old and get it to actually run. I'm more worried about getting the zf to work than the motor because I know we can get the motor to run. Is there a way to get the standard computer to run the zf and the motor in a completely different car or does the computer not like playing the game? If not the standard computer, is there something aftermarket that would allow the zf and barra to run happily.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Nothing is impossible....

lots and lots needs to be pulled from a zf donor vehicle and shoehorned into the classic vehicle 

nothing aftermarket can control the ZF 

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

It won't unfortunately. Although mechanically similar the brain in the 6r80 is quite different. It would be far more cost effective to use a factory setup modified to suit.

17 minutes ago, JETURBO said:

Nothing is impossible....

lots and lots needs to be pulled from a zf donor vehicle and shoehorned into the classic vehicle 

nothing aftermarket can control the ZF 

It can be done with just the PCM and wiring for the trans. transplanting into an older chassis that doesn't require BEM or ABS integration is a much easier task.

OP it's entirely possible, as always best to start with a donor vehicle and make sure whoever you use understands the conversion otherwise the cost will rack up very very quickly.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
21 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It would be far more cost effective to use a factory setup modified to suit.

I think that if using a zf is mandatory then this bit of info is the take home here.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d
53 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

http://www.usshift.com/usq6.shtml

This can control the 6r80. It might not be too hard to adapt it.

Looking at this in detail it looks like a nice piece of kit, however someone would need to be willing to strip the TCM from a 6hp26 and rewire to run off the standalone controller (the unit is designed to run a 2011+ 6r80 which doesn't have an integral TCM) but the major flaw I see for us is all the mapping is TPS based load not MAP based. As we know with a turbo car under 100% TPS, TPS and Load don't always correlate.

Edited by Ralph Wiggum

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Even that issue aside it wouldn't be a cheap exercise running a standalone trans controller alongside a Haltech or similar ecu. Even if one was to wire/install/tune it themselves there would be stuff all change from $4000 if any.

This is the same place as the first link I posted.

• Like 1