BF Alternator design change?

Rochefort

• Member For: 10y 4m 7d

Hi Guys,

I had to replace my alternator since I had powersteering line leak all through it... Huzzzah.

I ordered the same model number alternator, that is labelled as being for BF 6cyl onwards, yet the new one does not have a threaded hole for the back mounting bolt.

Did the FG's drop the back mount bolt/ Was the design changed?

Cant see how the backbolt does a lot, but better to be safe than sorry and ask the question :D

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 20d

That's correct.  BA 2 pin.  BF FG 3 pin. 

Not  sure about mounting points. 

BA 110A.   BF FG.  130A

your image is BA

are you sure you didn't buy a V8 alt

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 10y 4m 7d

That PIC is from the the Haynes Online Manual, was just using it as an example. I've got a BF MKII

The model number is exactly the same as the old one, except the new one doesn't have a threaded hole for the rear mount bolt.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 20d

I have BA BA2 BF BF2 . They all bolt on the rear same as the pic you posted. Images I have viewed shows the FG to be be the same.   Is it a genuine ford alternator?

Genuine FG 6cyl alt

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8m 15d

Bit of a thread mine here, Im in the process of buying new genuine pulley's, tensioner and drive belt and noticed the BF FG belt is different over the BA does anyone know the actual difference between the two? The Idler pulley, Tensioner share the same part number BA through till FG. I know the alternators have a different plug but I was under the impression they bolted up the same so not sure why the new belt? Only asking im still not sure what block ill be using (BA,BF,FG) 

Edited by tazzanz

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 7y 11m 28d
On 21/09/2017 at 7:18 AM, Rochefort said:

Allegedly it is a genuine ford alternator. Has the ford label on the box, has the bitsamissin sticker on the alternator... just a non threaded hole.

I know its an old thread, but I just went through the same thing. I biought an alternator for an FG from 'Ford' on ebay, and didn't fit it for a year. When I went to fit it, it had the hole at the back, but it wasn't threaded. I suspect its a manufacturing defect that got through. I cut a slot in a bolt and tapped the hole as I didn't have a tap handy. It worked fine but I am a bit annoyed I didn't pick it up straight after I bought it.